[SOLVED] Is Upgrading my System worth it

Aug 2, 2020
I rarely Game on my pc
The Specs of my computer are as bellow
My are my questions are represented in () along with them I wanted to ask whether making these significant expensive hardware
make a decent difference or should i bite the bullet and keep this system as a home pc and get a newer system, cant splurge so cost
effective one all together, and get a new pc if so what all from this can I use Like The GPU
if possible i would definitely like to use the same cpu Case COOLER MASTER HAF XB EVO Simply love it. I definitely know that my
CPU is a big bottleneck and from what i researched from my limited knowledge is that it is holding my gpu back and i have room there.
Kindly have a look
Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:
i play CS GO i might play some more games but that is not the priority
I use my computer for mostly of Photo Editing and for that I use a LG C8 65" tv that i bought a couple of years ago.
I also very occasional Edit Video
(Since new equipment is capable of 4k videos Raw I willdable in that sometime in the near future but that is going to very rare)
Apart from this I watch a lot of netflix and movies on my pc and if possible plan this to be
the base for a Dolby 9.2 atmos sound bar system that i plan to pair with system.
Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Education 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology
(Should I upgrade to i7 7700 as my Motherboard supports it)
Question
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel CORSAIR 8GB X2 Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC4-19200 2400MHz @ 1072MHz (15-15-15-36)
(Should I add 2X8 more)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170 PRO GAMING (LGA1151) 35 °C
Graphics
HDMI (3840x2160@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ZOTAC International)
(this shows as Zotac GTX 1070 8GB If I but a new system can i use this on that)
Storage
465GB Crucial_CT500MX200SSD4 (SATA (SSD))
3726GB Seagate ST4000DM005-2DP166 (SATA )
3726GB Seagate ST4000DM005-2DP166 (SATA )
3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 (SATA )
(My board Supports NVME Should I upgrade to that and us this SATA M.2 in a Housing as a fast Portable drive)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 (no plans to install a blu ray or something as mainly will download everything)
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
(will my GPU give out proper Signals over the HDMI 2.0 for Atmos Surround sound)

Thanks so much
Much Obliged looking forward to expert opinions as i don't really understand to much technical things.
As i mentioned i7 7700 as that could be installed instead of my current CPU with everything the same and I would get a significant boost according to the Retailer who made this system for me ages ago I just need to change the CPU the M.2 and add ram to get a significant boost in performance but the i7 7700 series since has become rare as it has stopped production and hence very expensive. Also he has no Idea about Atmos thing and me neither.

Solution
Well that is what i thought but the price of the i7 7700 and more so the 7700K are ridiculously high these days and my main thing which i wanna know is that is this system gonna be like gonna need another upgrade/replacement soon.
well i mean it will last in gaming.Just dont try max settings on newer AAA titles.For the video editing and that sort of stuff i dont know,so i cant really tell you how good will the system be.All i know that video editing/rendering runs better on more cores and threads,thats why people go with ryzen.Another thing u can do is go for like a RYZEN 5 1600AF and a very good b450 board which will support next gen ryzen.Also try to overclock that memory,because 2400mhz is really bad for ryzen.The RYZEN 5...
ok,so your mobo has a z170 chipset which means it can overclock your K procesor.
I would suggest getting i7-7700K since a non K 7700 model would be a waste on this type of mobo.Dont get me wrong i7 7700 is a beast of a cpu but it would be 'odd' having a overclockable board with a non-overclockable cpu.Also a 4GB version of 1070 doesnt exist,its just a windows issue,donwload GPU-Z and it will show that the 1070 has 8gb of VRAM.So yeah your best bet would be getting a 7700K,overclock it and a m.2 nvme.You can choose the capacity of the m.2,240gb is enough for windows and related programs,if you want games on it the get more capacity.

Reactions: VipulVerma
Aug 2, 2020
ok,so your mobo has a z170 chipset which means it can overclock your K processor.
I would suggest getting i7-7700K since a non K 7700 model would be a waste on this type of mobo.Dont get me wrong i7 7700 is a beast of a cpu but it would be 'odd' having a overclockable board with a non-overclockable cpu.Also a 4GB version of 1070 doesnt exist,its just a windows issue,download GPU-Z and it will show that the 1070 has 8gb of VRAM.So yeah your best bet would be getting a 7700K,overclock it and a m.2 nvme.You can choose the capacity of the m.2,240gb is enough for windows and related programs,if you want games on it the get more capacity.
Well that is what i thought but the price of the i7 7700 and more so the 7700K are ridiculously high these days and my main thing which i wanna know is that is this system gonna be like gonna need another upgrade/replacement soon.

well i mean it will last in gaming.Just dont try max settings on newer AAA titles.For the video editing and that sort of stuff i dont know,so i cant really tell you how good will the system be.All i know that video editing/rendering runs better on more cores and threads,thats why people go with ryzen.Another thing u can do is go for like a RYZEN 5 1600AF and a very good b450 board which will support next gen ryzen.Also try to overclock that memory,because 2400mhz is really bad for ryzen.The RYZEN 5 1600AF has 6 cores and 12 threads,which abosulutelly crushes your i5 6400 in video editing/rendering,so thats why i mentioned it.It will also game better than your i5 6400 so even more reason to go with it.Also ryzen 5 1600af and a good mobo like aorus b450 elite or msi b450 tomahawk max will cost you around 300$.So the choice is yours,either go with 7700/k or new platform.For the ram i suggest upgrading it to 32gb when you get a stronger ryzen cpu down the line,16gb is enough in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: VipulVerma
Solution

TRENDING THREADS