[SOLVED] Is upgrading ryzen 2600 to 3500x worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 12, 2021
So lately on a few newer games I've been getting getting a choppy framerate, just not very smooth. I've looked on gamedebate and it's always my cpu that's below recommended. I don't have much money to spend on my computer, it's budget, but have found a 3500x for a reasonable price. Is the upgrade from 2600 to 3500x worth it? Will I see a smoother experience?

Also, as a bonus question to you tech gurus :) how does the number of threads affect game performance, mine has 4 the 3500x has 6 but what actual effect will this have?

Gtx 1060 6gb (know its not fancy but does the job)
16gb ddr4

Cheers, for any suggestions

Solution
So lately on a few newer games I've been getting getting a choppy framerate, just not very smooth. I've looked on gamedebate and it's always my cpu that's below recommended. I don't have much money to spend on my computer, it's budget, but have found a 3500x for a reasonable price. Is the upgrade from 2600 to 3500x worth it? Will I see a smoother experience?

Also, as a bonus question to you tech gurus :) how does the number of threads affect game performance, mine has 4 the 3500x has 6 but what actual effect will this have?

Gtx 1060 6gb (know its not fancy but does the job)
16gb ddr4

Cheers, for any suggestions
With the 2600's 6 core/12 thread vs. 6 core/6 thread the 3500X is the lesser processor. Except it also benefits from...
Feb 12, 2021
Oh for bugga sake, I'm a dingbat. I have no idea why I put 2600 it's a 1200 I've got, would help if I gave the right info, I've had a hell of a day and this brainfarts getting blamed on that, so the question should have been is the upgrade from 1200 to 3600x worth it?

Sorry for the wrong info

Oh for bugga sake, I'm a dingbat. I have no idea why I put 2600 it's a 1200 I've got, would help if I gave the right info, I've had a hell of a day and this brainfarts getting blamed on that, so the question should have been is the upgrade from 1200 to 3600x worth it?

Sorry for the wrong info

Gotta go all the way back to square one now: An upgrade from a 1200 (4 core/4 thread, gen 1) to 3500X (6 core/6 thread, gen 2) is well worth it. So going to a 3600X is...tremendous.

But it becomes even more important to know what your GPU is since even a kick-ass CPU will be useless if your GPU is simply to weak for serious gaming.

Last edited:
I would definitely replace your single RAM module with a reasonably fast set containing 2 8GB RAM modules.
I think going from single to dual channel mode on your RAM will have the biggest immediate impact.
I use 2 G.Skill F4-3200C16-8GVGB RAM modules but any fast RAM should do.
I would use 3200 RAM because it will also run slower if your motherboard needs it to but it will be fast enough if you upgrade your CPU.