is upgrading to a 1440p monitor worth it compared to what i have now?

gokitty199

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
ive been seeing alot of hype with the 4k and 1440 monitors and the people that have them really seem to like them, but i dont exactly have a standard monitor that i play on so im not sure if more pixles would benifit me, im on a 81 inch 1080p tv at 60hz that i play on and it does not have any noticeable input lag when gaming or regular use. do you guys think saving up some money and going to a 27-32 inch 1440p monitor is a good upgrade? so far i really like the large size of the tv and it looks great for movies and games.

Solution
A 970 would do well at 1440p. Gsync mostly obviates the need for 120+hz, and you would be better off with a gsync monitor @ 60 hz than a 120+hz monitor without gsync. *However*, 120hz montitors are much cheaper than gsync.

My guess is; Nvidia will cave and eventually support freesync, which is AMD's open-equivalent to Gsync.

-Lone-

Admirable

lol, 81 inches, now that's HUGE. But the higher picture quality is definitely worth it if you got the money to spend to build a system for it. Right now 1440p is more mainstream than 4k, because you'd have to spend a lot of money to get 4k working at a smooth and stable level. Close to $4,000+ So if you want a bit of graphics upgrade, 1440p is the way to go, if you have the latest gtx 970 and SLI them, you'll have plenty of fun with 1440p ultra gaming. What's your max budget, I'll find some good ones for you if you'd like.

gokitty199

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

my system is gigabyte g1 gtx 970(no sli) and i5 4670k OCed to 4.4ghz, how well do you think that will do at 1440p? and as of now i have pretty much 0 cash but i should hopefully have a decent job here again soon within a month or two and i plan on splurging on my pc setup lol. probably around the 500 mark is where i would like to keep it, and would it be worth getting a 144hz monitor if it has gsync? and what if it does not have gsync?

A 970 would do well at 1440p. Gsync mostly obviates the need for 120+hz, and you would be better off with a gsync monitor @ 60 hz than a 120+hz monitor without gsync. *However*, 120hz montitors are much cheaper than gsync.

My guess is; Nvidia will cave and eventually support freesync, which is AMD's open-equivalent to Gsync.

Solution

-Lone-

Admirable
Yeah, what he said, you'll be able to game at 1440p at high with that system, but if you want ultra everything, you should get a 2nd 970 later. G sync just eliminates screen tearing so you'll have a constant clear picture.