Is Upgrading to a, RTX 2080 a Good decision With What I Have?

khavens

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I'm considering getting an RTX to upgrade, and I'm trying to figure out if its worth it. I'm aware that right now the new series are going to be overpriced, but at the moment money is not a large concern. Right now I am running on a GTX 1070, so its pretty good but getting above 50-60 fps is getting hard with new games, especially since I play on a 1440p (144hz) monitor. My current setup is:

GeForce GTX 1070
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6 Ghz
16 Gigabytes of RAM

I'm using an Alienware Aurora R6, so there is room for 4 graphics cards. Should I make the upgrade?

Solution
Not a question anyone can realistically (or honestly) answer because 1) we do not know what the actual vendor card prices will be (ASUS, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) and 2) we do not know their performance over their respective previous GTX 10xx generation replacements.

But not only that, it could very well be that a GTX 2070 will smoke a GTX 1080 and I'd be surprised if it would not based on history of new generation lower tier GPU being faster than the previous generation's higher GPU tier (GTX 1070 > GTX 980, etc.).

Wait and see if you think the cost of the GTX 2080, whatever the different variants will be, will be worth the increased cost to *you* at the given performance increase. That's a very subjective question to answer on...
Not a question anyone can realistically (or honestly) answer because 1) we do not know what the actual vendor card prices will be (ASUS, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) and 2) we do not know their performance over their respective previous GTX 10xx generation replacements.

But not only that, it could very well be that a GTX 2070 will smoke a GTX 1080 and I'd be surprised if it would not based on history of new generation lower tier GPU being faster than the previous generation's higher GPU tier (GTX 1070 > GTX 980, etc.).

Wait and see if you think the cost of the GTX 2080, whatever the different variants will be, will be worth the increased cost to *you* at the given performance increase. That's a very subjective question to answer on top of not even knowing the cost and performance of these GPUs. Every new generation GPU when released is overpriced because retailers can't keep them in stock. I would not even think about looking into a GTX 20xx until Q1 next year when all tiers have finally been released (GTX 2080-2050 and the 2080 Ti) and the run on them is over meaning retailers are fully stocked meaning prices are nominal.

Solution

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

What games do you particularly play? If you are satisfied with the fps you're getting, there's no reason to upgrade. I have a GTX 970 and play with 2560x1440 and get 144 FPS with Quake Champions which is my main game; however I would like to get better frames with the occasional games that require 50 hours to finish such as Tomb Raider, Resident Evil etc.

Just curious as to why you can't even get 60 FPS with new games? What new games are you talking about?

neatfeatguy

Respectable
May 24, 2016

Probably i7 7700 (3.6GHz), it is listed as the i7 used in the Aurora R6 builds.

More so, a faster GPU would do you good, but the fact you're rocking an i7 that can't be overclocked will also hold you back. If you had a K model and a quality cooler you could easily OC that CPU probably up to 4.8 or higher. That would make a big difference, too.

For example, using CPU-Z benchmark, a stock i7-7700 in a single core run scores 439 (http://valid.x86.fr/bench/1) on this list of CPUs. My 4670k at stock on that same chart scores 415. When I OC my 4670k from it's stock 3.4GHz to 4.6GHz, that same CPU-Z benchmark I score 518.

Hold off waiting to see how well the RTX cards actually perform before you jump up and pre-order one. Once you see what they can do, then decide if one of them will be a good buy for you or if you'd be better off finding a 1080Ti. Once you do get a new card, see how things perform. If you're still not getting the performance you want, then you need a better CPU that you can overclock.

Sep 18, 2018
Upgrade the CPU/ Mobo/ Ram first. If you upgrade the card first you run the risk of the CPU bottleneck holding you back. So you'd have an RTX 2080 that isnt giving you the full results it can due to the CPU. If you upgrade the CPU/ Mobo/ Ram first, the 1070 can cope for a while, then when you do purchase an RTX 2080 you know you are able to use it to its full potential.

And you stated money isnt a problem? Then buy an RTX 2080, a new motherboard, a new i7 and 16Gb of DDR4 @ 3600Mhz all at once.

baflgv20

Honorable
Apr 19, 2018
The cpu-z scores are a little low. I have a good ol'Q6600 GO at 4GHz scores a 355 on the single thread and 1450 on the multi. I think that i7 is degraded or the imc is flaky.