[SOLVED] Is USB unidirectional?

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I have a USB printer. Right now I'm using a Lenova tiny computer as a print server for that printer. I also have a mac mini which I have, in the past, used as a print server for that printer. And I have "several" computers I'd like to be able to print from to that printer, via either the mini or tiny.

But I am trying to resolve "credential" issues when accessing "tiny" from a couple of my 'puters. Previously I had no issues when the mini was the print server.

I am wondering if I used a Y connection to the printer, each of the Y legs connected to Tiny or the mini, with the stem connected to the printer...and if a print job were sent from one leg of the Y, would it print or would it somehow feedback into the other leg of the Y as well and really screw things up? I could use an A=B switch on the USB, but the idea was to not have to walk to the other corner of the house and set the switch by hand.

Obviously, I'd want to be careful NOT to have dueling data streams.

If I can resolve the "credentials" crap then it won't be necessary, but "would it work" would still be nice to know. I'm suspecting it would not. But ... thought asking would be worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I have a USB printer. Right now I'm using a Lenova tiny computer as a print server for that printer. I also have a mac mini which I have, in the past, used as a print server for that printer. And I have "several" computers I'd like to be able to print from to that printer, via either the mini or tiny.

But I am trying to resolve "credential" issues when accessing "tiny" from a couple of my 'puters. Previously I had no issues when the mini was the print server.

I am wondering if I used a Y connection to the printer, each of the Y legs connected to Tiny or the mini, with the stem connected to the printer...and if a print job were sent from one leg of the Y, would it print or would it somehow feedback into the other leg of the Y as...

I am wondering if I used a Y connection to the printer, each of the Y legs connected to Tiny or the mini, with the stem connected to the printer...and if a print job were sent from one leg of the Y, would it print or would it somehow feedback into the other leg of the Y as well and really screw things up? I could use an A=B switch on the USB, but the idea was to not have to walk to the other corner of the house and set the switch by hand.

Obviously, I'd want to be careful NOT to have dueling data streams.

If I can resolve the "credentials" crap then it won't be necessary, but "would it work" would still be nice to know. I'm suspecting it would not. But ... thought asking would be worthwhile.
USB is bidirectional but you can't just use Y splitter on it, it needs a proper hub. There are some that can switch ports automatically. https://www.aten.com/global/en/products/usb-&-thunderbolt/peripheral-switches/us221a/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS