Question Is using a 3 pin fan connector splitter safe?

GeorgeCZ75

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
Essentially I have a cable that attaches to a 3 pin connector and it splits the connector for 2 other fans to connect to. I am going to connect two RGB case fans into that one connector. Is this going to withdraw too much power from that single connector?

Last edited:

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Essentially I have a cable that attaches to a 3 pin connector and it splits the connector for 2 other fans to connect to. I am going to connect two RGB case fans into that one connector. Is this going to withdraw too much power from that single connector?

Each fan will use about 0.35 Amps when run at full speed. Each fan header on the motherboard will typically provide up to 1.1 Amps of power. So that is enough "Juice" to power up to 3 fans using a fan splitter cable. To run more fans then that you should be using 2 fan headers or a fan controller unit. A typical fan controller unit that can power 4-6 fans will use 2.3 Amps, 0.3 Amps for itself and up to 2 Amps for 6 additional fans so therefor need extra power from the power supply, usually from SATA power.