is using cpu strap of 125mhz for overclocking 4770k safe?

cyrustheviruz1

Prominent
Sep 8, 2018
Soooo, I've had some problems overclocking a 4770k, mainly it takes a TON of voltage to get anywhere... 1.285v for 4.2 ghz, 1.315 to 1.325 for 4.3 ghz... i've tried everything, load line, tweak this and that, have spent hours upon hours on this. So just for fun i decided this morning, lets change the cpu strap from 100 to 125mhz and use a lower multiplier and see if that helps.. YES... I'm at 4.25 ghz @ 1.249v, finally something somewhat reasonable, I haven't decided to rock the boat and try a lower voltage or higher clock yet. My main question is, is using the cpu strap of 125mhz safe? long term? safe than pumping higher volts and more heat into the chip using the 100mhz strap? Please and thank you for any feed back! I trust TOM'S!

Solution
125mhz strap is safe, it basically keeps the rest of the components at 100mhz other than the cpu and i believe ram, its been a long time since i used the strap method.

Its really not much different than running a higher multiplier, same risks.
125mhz strap is safe, it basically keeps the rest of the components at 100mhz other than the cpu and i believe ram, its been a long time since i used the strap method.

Its really not much different than running a higher multiplier, same risks.

Solution