Is using out of support router a security risk ?

curoius

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
hi,
I am using Dlink DIR 600 L.
This router is no longer supported and I don't receive any firmware updates.

Is using this router a security risk?

I cant use any of the opensource firmwares coz none supports my device.

Solution
It also depends if there actually is a security exposure for the router. Your current firmware level has the fix for the one from a few years back. These are not real common since the OS on most routers is pretty simple providing much fewer place to attempt to hack.

Hacking a router does not accomplish much anyway. The people that would do this want to make/steal money. It not like they can load ransom ware on a router, people will just factory reset them and reconfigure them rather than pay anything.

curoius

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014

Firmware Version : 2.05UI
Hardware Version : B1

Thanks for replying.

DD-WRT and OpenWrt doesn't have any support for the Realtek RTL8196C processor used in your D-Link DIR-600L Rev B or any other manufacturers routers that use that same processor.

Using a router with unpatched security flaws is definitely not recommended.

curoius

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014

Fact is I dont have the cash right now to buy a new router.
I am really stuck.

It also depends if there actually is a security exposure for the router. Your current firmware level has the fix for the one from a few years back. These are not real common since the OS on most routers is pretty simple providing much fewer place to attempt to hack.

Hacking a router does not accomplish much anyway. The people that would do this want to make/steal money. It not like they can load ransom ware on a router, people will just factory reset them and reconfigure them rather than pay anything.

Solution

curoius

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014

That's a relief. Thanks.

Also, I use only Linux on my desktop so I guess I am safe,

I can tell you exactly what major security patches arrived in the last two years: Samba (specifically SambaCry based on NSA's Petya), seven severe DNSmasq vulnerabilities, and obviously KRACK.

A 2.4GHz-only N router like yours is only worth about $5 used today, so if you didn't need to upgrade any features it could be cheaply replaced with one that accepts DD-WRT or LEDE, or even Tomato for ARM. Tomato for MIPs has been unmaintained for a year now, so don't get one that only accepts that.