Is using the reset button okay if your screen is stuck at startup?

Aug 1, 2018
Hi! For some reason when I was booting up my PC it had an issue where it wasn't detecting/using any of my hard drives. Basically, I was stuck on the 'EFI shell version 2.31 -cannot find required map name' screen and had to reset my PC multiple times before finding a fix.

So my question is, is this generally bad to do for the parts, particularly the MOBO or GPU? I've heard about corruption of data and other things, but I though it was only if you're using your hard drive.
Thank you!:)

Solution
No, just pressing reset will not harm anything but it's indication of something else being bad. Check your drive data and power cables.
Aug 1, 2018

Thanks, appreciate the response! Apparently the issue from what I read online sometimes happens with MSI MOBOs, when you change a part inside your PC. The thing that fixed it was going to BIOS>BOOT>UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities>Boot Options #1 and switching it from 'Disabled' to 'Windows Boot Manager'. I'm not sure why I had to re enable it, as I could have sworn I had it enabled.
Thanks again!

Aug 1, 2018

Interesting, I didn't know that. Hopefully that fixed the issue. Thank you again!