is vegan diet good or bad for health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brannsiu

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I have been always believing that vegan diet is good for health, at least not bad for health.
However, I've found some online articles suggesting that vegan diet may be even bad for
health because of lacking some important nutrients.

What do you think ? Is it a topic that will never have a proved answer?

mwryder55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I have been a vegetarian for years with no health issues from the lack of meat in my diet. I started going vegetarian over 20 years ago when cutting all meat from my diet drastically reduced my allergies. I think maybe all the added drugs and hormones in most meat products was aggravating my allergies. The only problem is it is harder to find anything without meat at some restaurants.

babernet_1

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Don't go full vegan. I know some personally. Their color is off, mental issues, health issues etc. Go vegetarian if you must. Mankind, in the wild, are hunter gatherers. The optimum diet is pretty close to a vegetarian with some meat.

manddy123

Reputable

Vegan is very different thing compared to Vegetarianism.

While Vegetarianists don't eat meat or some other things, Vegans don't eat absolutely nothing that has derived from an animal like eggs, milk, honey, etc, so with all of those restrictions there are a bunch of problems related to nutrients. I've had a friend who were Vegan, after some years doing it he was extremely skinny and with some health issues, so that he had to return to eat animal-related food to regain his health back ( he's still doing it ). It's absurdly extreme IMO.

So, as tech person and far from a nutricionist, IMO Vegetarianism is far wiser and healthier style of life, as you will get every nutrient you need, just won't enjoy of the flesh of dead animals. ( Which IMO are delicious! )

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Vegan and Vegetarian can be two different things. The Vegan diet can be a harder one to fulfill since it has more restrictions than Vegetarian. If you try this diet, you will need to monitor everything to make sure you get all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs. If you can get all that, then the vegan diet can be good. If it doesn't deliver everything your body needs, it can be bad. Vegan not only cuts out meats, but it cuts out anything animal related that vegetarianism doesn't. You may be better off going vegetarian IMHO if you're moving away from an omnivore diet... but use these links to decide for yourself.

https://www.veganmotivation.com/vegan-vs-vegetarian/
http://www.organicauthority.com/vegan-vs-vegetarian-diets-and-everything-in-between-which-is-right-for-you/
http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/is-a-vegetarian-or-vegan-diet-for-you
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3967195/

one last thing to look at (optionally)
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201412/84-vegetarians-and-vegans-return-meat-why

JefeBotero

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So I have some questions.
1) How you know it helped your allergies? Did you go to a doctor and they tested you and found you were allergic to red meat???
2) Are you a vegetarian or a vegan? They are not interchangeable.
3) Where do you live because everyday a new vegetarian restaurant opens here in Colorado?

Healthy eating is all about getting a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats plus vitamins and minerals. Yes, if you go vegan and eat nothing but green veggies you will definitely have problems. Also many vegetarian I know have a very small selection of foods that they eat. This means that they can have issues if what they eat has higher concentrations of bad things like mercury (fish) or arsenic (rice).

There is no black and white answer. How any individual responds to a specific diet depends on their metabolism, gut microbes, and many other factors. It's basically the same thing as different people responding to the same drug, like an antibiotic, differently. What works for one may not work for another and might be terribly beneficial or harmful. About all you can do is make an informed guess and try it or not. If it doesn't work for you just stop.

mwryder55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Before I eliminated all meat from my diet I had to use an inhaler fairly often for bronchial asthma tied to my allergies. I was also constantly using allergy tablets to alleviate some of the symptons. Since then I have not used an inhaler once and almost never use allergy medicines even though I have pets that I am allergic to.
I mostly eat a vegetarian diet but some of my meals, especially at the local Thai place are vegan.
Living in Las Vegas, NV means that there are very few true vegetarian or vegan restaurants. I get around this by going mostly to Italian, Mexican, and Asian places.
I do not any meat, including fish, as too much of it is farmed and may include something that aggravates my allergies, but that is my choice.

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

yes, a vegan plant-based diet is perfectly healthy. there are some vegans out there who do not research how to be a healthy vegan, and those are the people who end up looking sick and pale. there are a few nutrients that you need to fortify when on a plant based diet, including B12, Zinc, Vitamin D, and Iron. But you will get adequate amounts of most of these if you eat a varied plant based diet. You start getting deficient when you try to eat bean and rice burritos from taco bell every meal because you cant or wont prepare your own meals. these are the vegan/vegetarians who become sick and vitamin deficient.

the issue with this debate is there are always conflicting studies that state the opposite of each other. so one way to determine for yourself if the article in question is accurate or not, is to look at who is funding that article or, sometimes, the entire website itself. i've seen many articles about how safe and nutritional eggs, milk, ect. are for humans to consume, but a little digging reveals that the article is funded by some big dairy corporation. there is even evidence that reputable institutions like the American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association receive large amounts of funding from the producers of animal products, which means that those institutions aren't going to be publishing studies that show the true impact of animal products on humans. so, you really need to dig into what is behind the article youre reading to know what the truth is.

there is ample evidence that supports veganism, and plenty of refuting articles and arguments, but these are usually suspiciously funded or promoted by the companies that would be directly harmed by a decrease in animal product sales. the meat and dairy industry have had lobbyists in government dictating things like the food pyramid, and giving subsidies to fast food chains to increase a certain meats' sales by coming out with "The Ultimate Double Baconator with Extra Bacon". they are also backed by Big Pharma, because when you crowd thousands of animals into undersized cages, which is also their bathroom, with dead and dying animals in close proximity, you have to pump them with a shitload of antibiotics. so the dairy industry + big pharma + AHA + US gov = meat and dairy is good for you? lol, i dont think so.

the truth is out there, and with plenty of evidence. it just depends on people opening their eyes.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished

Could you refer me to those sources? It could prove invaluable,

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

While not the most in depth source, this "bibliography" for a documentary has a very easy to digest layout of their claims and it's evidence http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/facts/

mariad10

Commendable
Mar 14, 2017
There should be a balance, anything excessive of usage is going to harm. Your body needs so many different nutrients that you just cannot forgo.

EdellReynes

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
I go for a balanced diet, not really a full vegan because for me, our body also needs to consume meat, protein and other dairy products. But, the key there is limitation and control over the food you actually choose to eat.

jessty

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
For me it depends on the type of vegans. It could be unhealthy for those who even avoid dairy products and other animal-based products that are also good for the body.

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

There are no nutrients found in animal products that you cannot find in plants, and in proper quantities. The idea that our bodies need things from animals is a myth, and you will not find any scientific proof of it.

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

There is only one type of vegan, which means no animal products at all. You can find all necessary nutrients in pants. There is no proof that the body needs certain things from animal proteins.

Mousemonkey

Titan

Really? :lol:

indiferenc

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Being a vegan in some places can be more difficult than others. But it is never as difficult as it seems, and the rewards far out weigh the difficulties. Veganism is growing very rapidly as the science showing how dangerous an omnivore diet can be and how healthy a plant based diet is. It's only going to get easier, with many fast food places and restaurants providing some kind of option.

Rewards:
- optimal health. The body needs a symphony of nutrition to function properly, and you won't find it with a diet of 80% meat and cheese, which is the modern American diet. A varied plant based diet is shown to prevent or reverse many common diagnoses from heart disease to body odor. The science is out there, but remember that the system is not on your side. Big corporations, the government, and institutions, such as the American heart association, will not give you the truth as they are all dictated by the highest bidder.

- helping the environment. Did you know that factory farming produces more green house gases than all the transportation combined? Or that it takes hundreds of gallons of water to produce 1lb of beef? If we took all the plants that we feed to the animals that we eat, and fed those plants to people, we could end world hunger today. The environmental impact of our diet is an atrocity and needs to be changed if we are to stop climate change.

- morality. Regardless of excuses, killing and eating another living, sentient organism is immoral. Simply because these animals cannot communicate with you, does not mean that they don't feel pain, or have unique personalities, or want to live peacefully, the same way you or I do. Yes, our hunter-gatherer predecessors hunted and ate animals, but they did it for survival, which I'm not contesting. But the reality of modern farming is perverted, and there is zero necessity for us to consume as much animal products as well do, or at all, especially at the cost of the environment. Watching the cows be raped and cry as their young are taken, just to produce milk, is heart breaking. Watching a pig get it's throat slit and writhe on the floor while workers kick it around is just disgusting. Watching hundred of adorable baby male chicks ground up because they are useless to egg production is simply the kind of evil you see movie villians. It's just not right to slaughter massive amounts of creatures, when you can look into their eyes and see pain and fear, simply because you enjoy the taste. It's simply wrong on so many levels.

I recommend anyone considering veganism to check out r/vegan lots of good support over there.

Mousemonkey

Titan

And what about all us non Americans?

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished

Did you know volcanic activity spews out more greenhouse gasses than all the automobiles on earth combined, even when combined with bovine and other greenhouse producing life?

Don't get me started on the illusion, paid for by the same governments that you say are promoting unhealthy eating by supporting humans eating animal flesh, of "climate change." All studies ignore natural patterns, and exaggerate others. The real Inconvenient Truth is that the climate change preached and shoved down our throats by a paid off consensus of scientists, is nowhere near the threat they claim... (Do I mean not trying to take care of the planet? No.)

Best not wear any leather goods then.Also, have you seen these acts personally, or are you taking someone else's word for it?

Animals may experience emotions, such as pain and fear, but they are as sentient as a fly, roach, or mosquito.

You better start with the Venezuelans if you're looking for most impact as they eat way more meat than the rest of us.

I recommend anyone thinking of becoming a vegan to look closely at the cost vs becoming just a vegetarian (which is better supported historically) over pure veganism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY