[SOLVED] Is virtualization possible for 32-bits systems?

ittiandro

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hi
I am on Windows 10 ( 32-bits system) on an oldish Intel 2- Core 14-2120 3.30 GHZ 32-bits CPU, 4 GB physical memory . I want to virtualize a 2nd OS ( Windows 10) in order to switch between the two OS without having to reboot each time. Unfortunately all the Virtualization softwares I have looked into, are designed for 64-bits. I tried a few of them and I invariably get a message that I cannot install because a 64-bits platform is required.

I have been able to install only an older VMware app. ( v. 5 or so) It did go in. and I was able to create a VM box by following the instructions. However I hit a brick wall: when I try to install the CD from the optical drive, I do get the Windows Logo on the VB screen, but it stops there and I cannot install the virtual Windows 10. Why? How can I finalize the 3nd OS installation?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Solution
Will the new guest virtualized OS allow me to have two OS on my desktop ( one on the physical drive and the other virtualized) and switch between them without having to reboot the computer every time?
Absolutely.

I almost always have 1, and often 2 or more VMs, running all the time.

Left to right
Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Win 10 Pro, host Win 10 Pro.
VirtualBox VM's.

Each guest OS in its own window.
HRT0P9p.png

USAFRet

Titan
Even if it were possible, you'll immediately run into a RAM limit issue.

32bit Windows is limited to ~3.5GB.
A VM needs its own dedicated RAM.

Trying to split 3.5GB into host and guest leaves each with not enough.
So no...this is not going to work.
Even if virtualization were available in the 32bit platform. Which it is not.

And virtualization is running the 2 (or more) OS's at the same time. Not switching between.
Right now, I have a Win 10 geust, a Linux guest, and the host Win 10 running , at the same time.

Even if it were possible, you'll immediately run into a RAM limit issue.

32bit Windows is limited to ~3.5GB.
A VM needs its own dedicated RAM.

Trying to split 3.5GB into host and guest leaves each with not enough.
So no...this is not going to work.
Even if virtualization were available in the 32bit platform. Which it is not.

And virtualization is running the 2 (or more) OS's at the same time. Not switching between.
Right now, I have a Win 10 geust, a Linux guest, and the host Win 10 running , at the same time.
wmvare workstation 9.x has 8GB ram limit on 32bit system, player 6.x same 8GB limit
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1014006

ittiandro

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hi
I am on Windows 10 ( 32-bits system) on an oldish Intel 2- Core 14-2120 3.30 GHZ 32-bits CPU, 4 GB physical memory . I want to virtualize a 2nd OS ( Windows 10) in order to switch between the two OS without having to reboot each time. Unfortunately all the Virtualization softwares I have looked into, are designed for 64-bits. I tried a few of them and I invariably get a message that I cannot install because a 64-bits platform is required.

I have been able to install only an older VMware app. ( v. 5 or so) It did go in. and I was able to create a VM box by following the instructions. However I hit a brick wall: when I try to install the CD from the optical drive, I do get the Windows Logo on the VB screen, but it stops there and I cannot install the virtual Windows 10. Why? How can I finalize the 3nd OS installation?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Thanks

Even if I were to buy a new computer, I'd like to know if I can use virtualization for the following purpose. or forget about it.
Will the new guest virtualized OS allow me to have two OS on my desktop ( one on the physical drive and the other virtualized) and switch between them without having to reboot the computer every time? I'd use the virtualized OS with a miimum load of apps , just to read books from my flash drive and the internet, the other will all the apps.
If not, I will not waste any more time on this idea.
By the way , I already tried a VM v.6 . It does not run on a 32-bits system. This is clearly the message I get. Are there really VM older apps that run on 32-bits?

Thanks

Franco

USAFRet

Titan
Will the new guest virtualized OS allow me to have two OS on my desktop ( one on the physical drive and the other virtualized) and switch between them without having to reboot the computer every time?
Absolutely.

I almost always have 1, and often 2 or more VMs, running all the time.

Left to right
Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Win 10 Pro, host Win 10 Pro.
VirtualBox VM's.

Each guest OS in its own window.
HRT0P9p.png

Solution
Thanks

Even if I were to buy a new computer, I'd like to know if I can use virtualization for the following purpose. or forget about it.
Will the new guest virtualized OS allow me to have two OS on my desktop ( one on the physical drive and the other virtualized) and switch between them without having to reboot the computer every time? I'd use the virtualized OS with a miimum load of apps , just to read books from my flash drive and the internet, the other will all the apps.
If not, I will not waste any more time on this idea.
By the way , I already tried a VM v.6 . It does not run on a 32-bits system. This is clearly the message I get. Are there really VM older apps that run on 32-bits?

Thanks

Franco
You cannot switch OS without rebooting, virtualization allows you to run a second OS directly on your hardware but at the same time, the OS you booted from will still be running and the only way to stop one when running the other is to reboot.