Is vista another me??

konchus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
lol its seems so cuz ms is making xp available thru Virtual Technology on W7... and other similarities like the eye candy+instability...not sure if i remember correctly but i think xp is win me with the the stability of win2k or server or somethin havin to do with the nt kernel lol and uh isnt w7 suppose to be vista with the stability of xp????...i guess its for compatability...seems like os's are dropping very often... due to them taking time to make it some what stable it feels like vista came out last year...i have a new system build in mind but im considering holding off till w7 drops...dont wanna buy vista and 6 months down the line i gotta upgrade again...maybe usb 3 will be out by the time w7 drops along with some affordable pci-e ssd's...but this p4 1.8 ghz 1.25gb ram geforce ti 4400 that was the ish about 6-7? years ago is killin me...i make instrumentals and wanna use multiple programs via re-wire and its impossible to do more than 7 tracks on this...anyway, im just rambling what was the point of this post again?

whats with the periods???............................... lol i dunno

Don't fear the Vista. Vista (64) is the OS of CHOICE among gamers and enthusiasts and it isn't buggy or unstable - there was some truth to that in the beginning and unfortunately that take kind of stuck with the general public, thanks to a zillion Apple dollars and some very clever ads, but it's good to go now.

Most of us around here are using it now and we like it fine. Get a killer system with plenty of RAM and you'll be happy.

7 will probably be a better, more polished version of Vista, so if you can hold on for a while you might want to do so, but don't do that out of fearing Vista - it's actually a very good OS and is no ME.

The main reason XP is still available is for low power netbooks and for corporate situations where they have proprietary software and complex ecosystems that never got upgraded for Vista - the Vista security and driver changes broke a lot of old stuff but the new stuff is fine.

I must say, or admit, I have never messed with ME. Pun intended. Like motherdude siad. In the least, Vista will rememebered for bringing the 64 bit OS in to the mainstream. I for one am so happpy with my four Vista 64 machines.

Side note. Randowmizer you are a great Moderator. You have the perfect mindset for the job. Good for you! Congrats.

konchus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

makes sense...also does mac still have the upper hand in how their os utilizes the new multicore chips?

konchus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

your a very troubled man taking part in some very serious brown nosing i see...i dont even wanna think about what a skin flute is

Nope :)

http://developer.amd.com/documentation/articles/Pages/282007123.aspx#two

The Incremental Improvements Within Vista

The incremental improvements within the OS relating to multicore performance include enhanced support for nonuniform memory architecture (NUMA) systems (such as the AMD Opteron™ family), pervasive prefetching (at both the low level of dealing with page faults, and the system cache read-ahead and the Prefetch/SuperFetch user-feature, which loads oft-used programs in anticipation of user launch), improvements to internally-used data structures and algorithms, an improved DLL loader that creates processes significantly faster, and a much-improved thread pool.

The thread-pool changes include generally improved performance and the ability to support multiple pools per process. This seems a good time to mention Vista's system-wide anti-convoy features. A "lock convoy" is a situation where performance tanks because a large number of threads are blocked, waiting for a resource, and when the resource becomes available, every thread is awoken, all but one fails to acquire the resource, and all but one are set back to waiting. When the number of threads is high enough and the work performed per thread is small, the time spent in overhead can overwhelm the amount of time spent working. That lock convoys arise from attempts to make thread scheduling "fair" is just one of those surprising results that turns concurrent programming into such a challenge.

Vista uses a different lock handoff mechanism that's "unfair," in that there's now a race condition between a lock becoming available and its acquisition by the first thread in the wait list. This makes it possible for a thread to "sneak in" and grab the lock sending the should-have-been-scheduled thread to the back of the wait list (and at least theoretically raising the potential of starvation). Lock convoys were, anecdotally at least, often the root problem of system-wide freezes that lasted for several seconds and then disappeared.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Vista is on its own like a win2k variant. there is indeed alot of efforts that make it standalone. slapping it in as a backside to windows 7 is absurd. Having had xp to vista, xp is like Win me of windows evolution .Of course my "backwards to mainstream" has facts ... Vista is the real leap.I also ran win me...I thought I broke a world record with my old 233 and me with a 50 day run time. It was terrible everywhere else...as microsoft might say, a day late and not a dollar short.

Is vista another me??

OP created this flame bait thread. OP has 27 posts on the forum. His sig reads, "yes...i am, better than you," another flame bait remark and it's his sig. :lol: OP doesn't know me. :pt1cable: Then He makes remarks like, "usb 3 and pci-e ssd's." :sol: I don't know, the sooner He finds his way out of here the less ignorant He will make himself appear. :sarcastic: The thread should have been locked or deleted due to OP's original intent. To flame Vista in a Vista forum. :sarcastic:

randomizer

Champion
I was actually going to lock it when I first saw it (it's a done-to-death topic and the OP is mindless rambling anyway) but there isn't much reason to. It's hardly worthy of being called flame bait since the OP admitted he doesn't even know what he's talking about ("anyway, im just rambling what was the point of this post again?"). If anything, it is spam. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Spam, yeah that's whatt I meant. :lol: There is a good bunch of contributors in these Vista forums. Lots of useful information is beng related every day. If you have a desire to try a 64 bit OS these days, this forum is the place to find some answers. On the other hand, M$ lost 18 billion last year. :sol: Microsoft should be paying us as soon as they get back on their feet and can afford us. :lol: Put this forum up as a sponser or something to those losers. :??:

Well, there is Notherdude, Scotteq, WR2, Zoron, Grumpy, Ghsiling, Pat Mcgroin and of course 4ryan6. That's a few of the regulars down here who have been posting away since Vista was released January 2007. Two and half years worth. There are more contributors I am leaving out, sorry if I failed to mention you. I installed Vista the day after the OS was officially released. Then shortly thereafter a personal dream of mine became reality when I installed Vista 64 and finally had the 64 bit OS I wanted so much over the years. So, this Vista forum is a lot like the CPU form now, or what the CPU forum once was :ouch: . A bunch of bullies ganging up on the nOObs mercilessly all day long :lol: Stick around Random. Hang out often and keep your ear open down here :eek:

earu.jpg

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

ME was a dumbed down and broken windows 98. XP was a pretty version of windows 2000. There was nothing broken with Vista even at launch. Both Me and Vista shared the lack of driver support at launch. Which was the main problem. It was also put on some pretty week PC's that lacked the spec to run it.