[SOLVED] is VPN and TOR the similar thing?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I am not very familiar with PC and networking thing, is TOR (torproject.org) and VPN similar things? If it isn't, what's their differences? Recently I'd like to improve my computer skills and enhance the security of my identity on the internet. Thanks alot.

Solution
yah a VPN is what you are thinking of. though often this simply shifts where the data collection takes place. most VPN's say they keep no logs but that has not proven to be true at this point. other trackers through cookies and such won't be changed either. you have to block those outright through the browser.

FF keeps adding more and more privacy protections and i suggest them along with a ublock origin plugin to block the tracking from within the browser.

as for collecting data on your pc itself, most of that can't be helped. your browser identifies itself, your resolution and other hardware data as part of displaying the page for you. location data can be stopped with the VPN but without it, there is no way to stop it. as noted...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a VPN is simply an encrypted connection between 2 parties. the service you pay for will mask your traffic until it gets to their server, is unencrypted and then sent out onto the web like normal. this keeps your ISP and other local tracking from working. it won't however stop cookies and the other ways you are tracked around the web. it is mainly used today as a way to get around GEOblocking since you can connect to a server in another country and it looks like your traffic is coming from there instead of where you really are.

TOR on the other hand is a totally different beast. here is a good primer to read explaining some of what that is all about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)

a VPN is plenty for the average user but is not meant to be a totally anonymous connection and won't ever be able to do that for you. TOR is also not as anonymous as it was once thought to be either and depends on a site being set-up specifically to take advantage of what TOR offers. not every site will have an onion address nor intends to have one.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
a VPN is simply an encrypted connection between 2 parties. the service you pay for will mask your traffic until it gets to their server, is unencrypted and then sent out onto the web like normal. this keeps your ISP and other local tracking from working. it won't however stop cookies and the other ways you are tracked around the web. it is mainly used today as a way to get around GEOblocking since you can connect to a server in another country and it looks like your traffic is coming from there instead of where you really are.

TOR on the other hand is a totally different beast. here is a good primer to read explaining some of what that is all about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)

a VPN is plenty for the average user but is not meant to be a totally anonymous connection and won't ever be able to do that for you. TOR is also not as anonymous as it was once thought to be either and depends on a site being set-up specifically to take advantage of what TOR offers. not every site will have an onion address nor intends to have one.

Can I have a more simplified explanation of difference between TOR and VPN and what determines the decision between using a TOR or VPN

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
hard to get any more simplified. they are both complex topics with multiple uses and reasons to implement them. you'll have to do some reading and start learning all the variables. i can't summarize it down to a couple of sentences :(

tor is pretty complicated overall and has many uses, some legal, some not. overall idea is anonymity while using it. though that has been shown to not be the case. but it is still pretty anonymous unless you're doing the illegal stuff and then we've seen over and over how easy it is for the various governments to figure who is who and bust it wide open.

vpn started as a way to log into and work on the company servers from elsewhere. secure, encrypted connected between the 2. it's turned into a commercial product aimed at privacy and getting around geoblocking.

different uses really.

so what is it you want to do that you feel like you want to be anonymous while doing it? in either case, illegal activity is easy to sniff out and neither solution will keep you safe while doing it.

Reactions: brannsiu

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
hard to get any more simplified. they are both complex topics with multiple uses and reasons to implement them. you'll have to do some reading and start learning all the variables. i can't summarize it down to a couple of sentences :(

tor is pretty complicated overall and has many uses, some legal, some not. overall idea is anonymity while using it. though that has been shown to not be the case. but it is still pretty anonymous unless you're doing the illegal stuff and then we've seen over and over how easy it is for the various governments to figure who is who and bust it wide open.

vpn started as a way to log into and work on the company servers from elsewhere. secure, encrypted connected between the 2. it's turned into a commercial product aimed at privacy and getting around geoblocking.

different uses really.

so what is it you want to do that you feel like you want to be anonymous while doing it? in either case, illegal activity is easy to sniff out and neither solution will keep you safe while doing it.

First, I need to emphasize that I do NOT intend to do any illegal activities and I haven't done any in my life.

I want to visit some websites / forums anonymously, I wasn't aware that when I visited a website they could be getting more information about me then I thought. For example, my IP address, my computer configuration or even my location or even more, I wasn't aware that, I do not want these information to be revealed to any sites, do I need a TOR or VPN or just some setting is good enough?

USAFRet

Titan
First, I need to emphasize that I do NOT intend to do any illegal activities and I haven't done any in my life.

I want to visit some websites / forums anonymously, I wasn't aware that when I visited a website they could be getting more information about me then I thought. For example, my IP address, my computer configuration or even my location, I do not want these information to be revealed to any sites, do I need a TOR or VPN or just some setting is good enough?
It "needs" your IP address because they need to know where to send it to.
Your IP address is just like your house address. If someone wants to send you something, they need to know where to send it.

A VPN will act as an intermediary.
They send it to the VPN address, the VPN then sends it to you.

Much like having a paid mailbox at your local post office or UPS store.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah a VPN is what you are thinking of. though often this simply shifts where the data collection takes place. most VPN's say they keep no logs but that has not proven to be true at this point. other trackers through cookies and such won't be changed either. you have to block those outright through the browser.

FF keeps adding more and more privacy protections and i suggest them along with a ublock origin plugin to block the tracking from within the browser.

as for collecting data on your pc itself, most of that can't be helped. your browser identifies itself, your resolution and other hardware data as part of displaying the page for you. location data can be stopped with the VPN but without it, there is no way to stop it. as noted above, your ip address has to be shared so data knows where to go, thus your location is revealed at the same time. the VPN using a server elsewhere will of course mask your location as well as IP address.

Solution
VPN- provider knows exactly what you're doing. popular paid ones are safe to use.

TOR- provider might know what you're doing. there is no way to know if each node is really independent. I don't think there is any type of paid service. all of them are probably sketchy.

destination isn't going to know on either just with the ip. there are many other ways things like ads try and id u.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYzre4bf7I

TRENDING THREADS