[SOLVED] Is Vram important for 3D rendering &CAD?

Jan 12, 2021
Hi,

Am building a new system and am stuck between the rtx 3080 and 3090. The main advantage for the 3090 is its 24 GB of V ram and the 3080 is quite a bit cheaper.

I intend to use this system for programs like Autocad, Revit, sketchup, Lumion or twinmotion and 3ds Max.

If you guys can help me I was wondering if
getting the 3090 is better due to the 24 gb ram or does the vram not have much of an effect of these applications?

Solution
AutoCad is all about single core speeds, doesn't rely on the gpu much at all. Same with Revit and 3dsMax, they are all cpu rendered only needing a gpu for the onscreen models.

Large/fast system ram will be a bonus there, especially dealing with 30-100Mb files.

Lumion is where things get gpu ugly, for that you'll want gpu power, recommended for Lumion 11 is a card with G3dMark of 7000 or better. Twinmotion is worse, recommended over 15k and 64Gb of system ram.

A rtx3080 has roughly a 24k G3dMark score.

Conclusion: it seems a 3080 will fit the bill for anything that you use, but...
View: https://youtu.be/yw8EDM94ZQI

Just how much are you wanting to pay vs performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AutoCad is all about single core speeds, doesn't rely on the gpu much at all. Same with Revit and 3dsMax, they are all cpu rendered only needing a gpu for the onscreen models.

Large/fast system ram will be a bonus there, especially dealing with 30-100Mb files.

Lumion is where things get gpu ugly, for that you'll want gpu power, recommended for Lumion 11 is a card with G3dMark of 7000 or better. Twinmotion is worse, recommended over 15k and 64Gb of system ram.

Solution
Jan 12, 2021

Thank you for the reply.
The big difference in price and the 14 gb of ram difference made me puase on what to choose. My main concern is long term performance. While as you explained allot of the applications I listed reply heavily of the cpu if having additional V-ram will help things in a significant way and also maintain a high performance for a good number of years then am willing to make the investment. If not then the 3080 seems like a good choice.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's why I linked the video. From there you can see basically software isn't making full use or isn't making very good use of all that extra vram. Like in V-Ray, there was only a 5 second difference and yet the render still took between 20-30 seconds.

But that's today. There are differences in recommended requirements between Luminon 10 and Luminon 11, so I'm going to assume in a year or two when Luminon 13 or 14 comes out, it'll require more.

Guessing the future is always a gamble, but common sense says better to have too much and not need it, than need it and not have it. Like having 64Gb-128Gb of ram.