IS vs IT degree

chris21908

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
I'm having difficulty understanding why the are so few colleges in Southern California that offer bachelor's in information technology but see many with info system degrees. I personally find IT more appealing. What careers can one pursue with an IS degree? I enjoy learning about wifi, networking and security. Any any input would be helpful.

Solution
The courses chosen are more important than the name of the degree plan. The three areas you mentioned, employers are just as interested in the certifications (Cisco, MS, etc) as the college degree you have. The degree shows a level of intelligence and determination to complete something. The certifications show competence in specific areas.

kanewolf

Titan
The courses chosen are more important than the name of the degree plan. The three areas you mentioned, employers are just as interested in the certifications (Cisco, MS, etc) as the college degree you have. The degree shows a level of intelligence and determination to complete something. The certifications show competence in specific areas.

Solution

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Computer Science degree, IT degree or IS degree. First - What really really really interested in. The CPU and anything it can do or hook up to. The PC/Notebook/Phone and anything it can do. The Data and anything you can do with it.

I started with a EE degree then acquired a CS degree. I'm retired from IBM and Lockheed. I've invented, programmed, architected (sic), managed networks and administrated an Oracle JDBC database.

I say go Computer Science. And touch, question, break, take apart, OC and tweak everything you get your hands on. And if you do the managers will worry about you - but they will never fire you.

Good Luck

bitty_20

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
IS (and even IT) degrees aren't that worthwhile to purse because the curriculum heavily differs from school to school, and employers can be turned off by that. Computer Science is a degree with a lot more job opportunities; you can work in networking, cyber-security, software engineering, etc. Most school systems have the same base curriculum plan (more or less), which includes calc 1, calc 2, linear algebra, discrete math, introductory CS courses and computing architecture. If you want to go into networking you must be good at mathematics because the premise of creating and sustaining networks relies on precise calculations. Another option for you could be Electrical or Computer Engineering, which is a better option to go for if you want to work with the hardware side of computer. However, keep note that engineering (and CS) degrees are very challenging and not for the faint of heart.

Ralston18

Titan
No disagreement with the previous posts.

My view is that if you wish to succeed in IS/IT, etc.. you must have a broader skill set.

Technical writing, speech, presentation skills, team building, some business management courses, security, etc.. especially if you wish to move into the management ranks.

Recommended reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Cybersecurity-Leadership-Powering-Modern-Organization/dp/1502312115

You will not want to stay as a "dime a dozen" tech forever.

Your salary will likely top out somewhere, you will burn out, and/or find yourself stuck somewhere with limited opportunities.

Think wider and farther ahead. No guarantees with anything anymore. Should not stop you from trying even if all is not likely to work out as planned. Stop, regroup, go forward again.

Consider colleges in other locations. Always trade-offs and I recognize that the out-of-state costs are going to be higher. Find the curriculum you want. Even if there are some required classes you do not want to take. You will be very surprised at what knowledge and skills may become necessary at any given time. Even if only at basic levels.

Education and experience are important. Degrees, certifications, and work history all count.

But so does being flexible, open-minded, willing to challenge yourself, take reasonable risks, making sacrifices, and working hard.

AnonymousAndy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
I only know how the DOD works with this, but when you're trying to get hired by them for a GS job... an associates degree in IT with one IT cert, such as a+ or sec+ is equal "points" to having just a bachelors degree when being considered for hire. Certs are much easier and faster to obtain and much more valuable according to the DOD, and I agree.

TRENDING THREADS