[SOLVED] Is watercooling recommended for a first build?

Jan 29, 2019
I want to build my first pc and i also want to do good overclocking without much fan noise, so i wanted to buy a water cooler. Is it recommended to use water cooling on a first build?, or is there a big chance that i will do it wrong and spill water in my pc?
The cooler that i want to use is the cooler master masterliquid ml240l rgb, and i want to use it on an am4 board.

Solution
The $60 Corsair H60 120mm AIO gets almost exactly the same performance as the $25 CM hyper212 evo air cooler, so unless you seriously must have water cooling for looks, it's honestly not worth the price, the 1400 isn't going to run any different on either cooler type.

The only advantage to water cooling is when you go BIG. The largest aircoolers can only get so big, so are only so effective with very hot running cpus, the bigger water coolers can exceed an aircoolers capacity with radiator sizes so can handle the bigger cpus. The 1200/1400 is on the smallest/coolest end of the scale, even with OC.

You'll get more performance, ability, enjoyment gaming from a 1600/2600 with even the stock coolers than you will with the smaller...
Mar 9, 2019
the cooler is compatible with am4 motherboards so ur fine and small chance of water spillage and usually quieter than air coolers but remember dont cheap out or ur other parts my pay the price but with ur cooler u should be fine. Glad i could help :giggle:

Last edited:
Reactions: dionsp32

WildCard999

Titan
AIO (all in one) watercoolers are easy to use as there no maintenance besides cleaning the dust from the fans/rad every once in awhile. As for if you should or not comes down to you, most Ryzen CPU's can easily be cooled and overclocked on higher end air and are usually quieter then AIO's.

As with any watercooling there is always a small risk of it leaking and possibly ruining your other parts.

What CPU are you planning on using?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I want to build my first pc and i also want to do good overclocking without much fan noise, so i wanted to buy a water cooler. Is it recommended to use water cooling on a first build?, or is there a big chance that i will do it wrong and spill water in my pc?
The cooler that i want to use is the cooler master masterliquid ml240l rgb, and i want to use it on an am4 board.

As long as you have a case that supports your components and supports the water cooler , you can install that AIO in your setup. They can leak , but it is rare.

It is compatible with AM4:

Jan 29, 2019
AIO (all in one) watercoolers are easy to use as there no maintenance besides cleaning the dust from the fans/rad every once in awhile. As for if you should or not comes down to you, most Ryzen CPU's can easily be cooled and overclocked on higher end air and are usually quieter then AIO's.

As with any watercooling there is always a small risk of it leaking and possibly ruining your other parts.

What CPU are you planning on using?
I am planning to use thr r5 1400 or the r3 1200, and my case is the coolermaster mastercase h500.
You said very little maintenace is needed with an aio, does that mean the liquid is already inside?

WildCard999

Titan
I am planning to use thr r5 1400 or the r3 1200, and my case is the coolermaster mastercase h500.
You said very little maintenace is needed with an aio, does that mean the liquid is already inside?
Yes, the liquid is already inside. If I where you I'd skip the AIO and use the money saved to grab the 1700 or 2600 as those would be much better then the 1400/1200.

Personally, you don't need an AIO at all - AMD comes with great Coolers.

You should invest the extra money in better CPU/GPU - because the CPU's you have chosen are quite weak and old. Water coolers are not cheap and you would be better off not buying one.

If you don't own a computer yet, you should state how much money you have to spend in YOUR currency and what country you are from.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The $60 Corsair H60 120mm AIO gets almost exactly the same performance as the $25 CM hyper212 evo air cooler, so unless you seriously must have water cooling for looks, it's honestly not worth the price, the 1400 isn't going to run any different on either cooler type.

The only advantage to water cooling is when you go BIG. The largest aircoolers can only get so big, so are only so effective with very hot running cpus, the bigger water coolers can exceed an aircoolers capacity with radiator sizes so can handle the bigger cpus. The 1200/1400 is on the smallest/coolest end of the scale, even with OC.

You'll get more performance, ability, enjoyment gaming from a 1600/2600 with even the stock coolers than you will with the smaller 1200/1400 which will have issues with even older games such as GTA:V, nevermind new titles like Fortnite or BF5.

Solution
Jan 29, 2019

You'll get more performance, ability, enjoyment gaming from a 1600/2600 with even the stock coolers than you will with the smaller 1200/1400 which will have issues with even older games such as GTA:V, nevermind new titles like Fortnite or BF5.
You said a ryzen 5 1600 is better recommended but do you recommend it with this system?
View: https://imgur.com/a/7Vl7WXW

Karad said exactly what I said before him, that its not worth getting an AIO
As for your system, its OK, but the motherboard is a bit crappy - as in, is there a reason you want a micro atx board? Asrock B450 Pro would be a better choice, unless you are going for a real budget system, but if you were doing that why would you want AIO?

Also if you are building on PC Partpicker, you need to click the [BB] at the top and copy and paste that into the POST then people can see what you are doing in your choices.

Which again goes back to my post about, give your budget and country and people can build you a better system for similar price.

Jan 29, 2019
Karad said exactly what I said before him, that its not worth getting an AIO
As for your system, its OK, but the motherboard is a bit crappy - as in, is there a reason you want a micro atx board? Asrock B450 Pro would be a better choice, unless you are going for a real budget system, but if you were doing that why would you want AIO?

Also if you are building on PC Partpicker, you need to click the [BB] at the top and copy and paste that into the POST then people can see what you are doing in your choices.

Which again goes back to my post about, give your budget and country and people can build you a better system for similar price.
I picked the micro atx because it was cheaper, because i am going for a budget build. I wanted water cooling because i thought it was really worth it but now i now it isnt. Here is the link to pc partpicker: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dionsp32/saved/2Pf6sY

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the term 'watercooling' when speaking in terms of AIO coolers, simply because it implies that they perform like a custom watercooling loop....when they most certainly do not. It's terminology like this that perpetuates the stigma that an AIO (or any form of liquid cooling, large or small) performs like big watercooling.

Understanding how liquid cooling fundamentals work helps someone understand what is actually needed. And now, my watercooling 10 Commandments:

benfey_1-030713.jpg

Thou shall not assume liquid cooling is always better than air cooling. Often times, great air coolers can outperform less-performing AIO coolers.

Thou shall not assume that 'having liquid cooling' means that it automatically is 'good liquid cooling'.

Thou shall not assume that an AIO liquid cooler will perform as well as custom watercooling, nor that a 120mm AIO, 240mm AIO, 280mm AIO or 360mm AIO all perform the same.

Thou shall realize that as in all water/liquid cooling, flow rate, fan speed/CFM and radiator size all play a part in cooling performance.

Thou shall realize that most AIO coolers are made by the same, few manufacturers and then rebranded, which mainly differ in software and fans used. Pumps and radiators are often exactly alike.

Thou shall realize that custom watercooling is often expensive and cutting corners with cheap no-name components might result in unknown (and unwarranted) disasters.

Thou shall reallize that you can find mounting hardware (bolts, nuts, washers) at your local hardware store if you need to customize to your needs.

Thou shall realize that you should know your cooling loop's complete TDP needs. This is not the same TDP needs your entire PC will require from a power supply...only the heat outputs being addressed from cooling blocks.

Thou shall realize that cooling loop delta-T is a result of ambient room temperature, cooling loop total radiator cooling volume, coolant flow rate, fan airflow/CFM and TDP of components being cooled. This defines the difference of coolant temperature vs. ambient room temperature. Good performing delta-T is 10C difference between room and coolant.

Thou shall realize that your reported CPU temps vs. ambient room temperature is a delta, but different than the delta-T of the coolant temperature of the cooling loop vs. ambient room temperature.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the term 'watercooling' when speaking in terms of AIO coolers, simply because it implies that they perform like a custom watercooling loop....when they most certainly do not. It's terminology like this that perpetuates the stigma that an AIO (or any form of liquid cooling, large or small) performs like big watercooling.

Understanding how liquid cooling fundamentals work helps someone understand what is actually needed. And now, my watercooling 10 Commandments:

benfey_1-030713.jpg
Its just you

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not just you rubix, it depends on the Op. It usually gets pretty obvious when they start talking about water coolers as a unit or CLC vrs FCL from more computer literate folk. It bothers me too when Ops use that term because then it becomes a matter of not only deciphering their English as a second language, but also of deciphering which is being referred to.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not just you rubix, it depends on the Op. It usually gets pretty obvious when they start talking about water coolers as a unit or CLC vrs FCL from more computer literate folk. It bothers me too when Ops use that term because then it becomes a matter of not only deciphering their English as a second language, but also of deciphering which is being referred to.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

I just want to provide as much information as I can based on the information received. Sometimes there is a blurred set of lines where there are a lot of unknown variables, and everyone then needs to stop and gather more information before setting forth again.

Language and knowledge often lend this to be the greatest hurdle - many variations of both often substitute one concept with another and just having the understanding of what is being discussed can be of great help.