Question is windows 10 best or IS there an alternative?

Marking

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I have been out of the computer world for a couple years. I have a windows 7 laptop and a windows 8.1 desktop. Is it best now in 2019 to upgrade to windows 10 or is there other alternatives I don't know about yet?

USAFRet

Titan
For the Windows ecosystem, and reasonably current hardware...yes, Win 10 is what you want.
Win 7 goes off any support January 2020.

For an alternative, there are a multitude of Linux variants.

This depends hugely on what you use the systems for.

Oh good lord, don't ask this question in 2019.

OS is like a piece of garment. There is no best. Is what you are used to, is what you have invested in purchased Apps, written a few snazzy time-saving automation scripts? switchover to a brand new OS maybe more work and hassle than u willing to put up with.

I keep hearing W10 has this forced update anytime thing. What would be a no-no in my book. Two of my boxes are still on W7 and I have no intention to update. I don't need support, have a snazzy hardware firewall, follow my Image Backup procedure, am good, my mundane personal stuff is not that interesting to hackers.

Marking

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Well I just wasn't sure what I should do or need to do. I hear many people complain about windows 10 so wanted to have some discussion before jumping in. So thought I would ask.

USAFRet

Titan
Well I just wasn't sure what I should do or need to do. I hear many people complain about windows 10 so wanted to have some discussion before jumping in. So thought I would ask.
"many people" have complained about every OS from Microsoft since...before there was Windows.
Every single one.
Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

Win 10 is fine.

But yes, you should think about moving off Win 7 in the very near future.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It sort of depends on the hardware too. Make sure your laptop has drivers for win 10 before updating or it may not end well. The win 8 PC might be okay. They both maybe but the older the hardware, the more chance it may not work.