[SOLVED] Is windows 10 free? What's with the iso image?

Solution
I don't understand. It will run fine "until i purchase a valid liscence"? So if i don't buy a liscence it is the full windows home version? What does it become after i do buy it?
Yes, it is the full version. With some small restrictions.

A sometimes/usually appearing watermark at bottom right. No customization of the Taskbar.
That's about it.

I have a long running test of a Win 10 Pro, installed in a VM, to test exactly this. First installed on Dec 8 2016. It will be 4 years old in 2 weeks.
Still running just fine.

But, this falls under "Paying for what you use".

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: lynx1021
I installed 10 on my new build earlier this year and skipped the activation and all the junk stuff until I got it set up the way I wanted, then I bought a key and activated it. I also upgraded my old Core 2 duo computer from 2010 from windows 7 to 10 this year for free.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
The install is free, direct from Microsoft.

The license key is what you pay for.
You can install it and skip entering the license key. It will run just fine. Until such time as you purchase a valid license. Around $100.
I don't understand. It will run fine "until i purchase a valid liscence"? So if i don't buy a liscence it is the full windows home version? What does it become after i do buy it?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it is the full version. With some small restrictions.

A sometimes/usually appearing watermark at bottom right. No customization of the Taskbar.
That's about it.

I have a long running test of a Win 10 Pro, installed in a VM, to test exactly this. First installed on Dec 8 2016. It will be 4 years old in 2 weeks.
Still running just fine.

But, this falls under "Paying for what you use".

Solution

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I have used my gaming computer with an unactivated Windows 10 (retail sellers are price gouging here, so nobody buys retail from a store in this country, if they have OEM on their PC's, that's it) for at least two years. Nothing except an "Activate Windows" watermark, and no customization options (which you can do some using registry), not even the kind of nagging Windows loves to do once in a while by showing a huge screen at every boot or something. It's definitely up to your ethics to buy it after using, but we recommend so.

Also, if you have a computer with an activated Windows 7/8/8.1, you can upgrade that PC to Windows 10 for free.