[SOLVED] Is Windows 10 FREE?

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Can anyone on this forum please help me. I have been using Windows 7 for decades as I preferred it to the strange design of Windows 10 and my PC was not up to Windows 10. I would buy a DVD and pay £100 or about that for Windows.

Now I buy a laptop with Windows 10 home edition. This is on a 30 day trial period. How do I pay for this. According to Windows it is activated through my Microsoft digital account. Does this mean it is free? I don't believe this. I have asked this question on a Microsoft Windows 10 forum and not received a proper answer. Is it pay monthly / pay every year? How much?

Hope someone here who doesn't work for Microsoft can help me!

Solution
Can anyone on this forum please help me. I have been using Windows 7 for decades as I preferred it to the strange design of Windows 10 and my PC was not up to Windows 10. I would buy a DVD and pay £100 or about that for Windows.

Now I buy a laptop with Windows 10 home edition. This is on a 30 day trial period. How do I pay for this. According to Windows it is activated through my Microsoft digital account. Does this mean it is free? I don't believe this. I have asked this question on a Microsoft Windows 10 forum and not received a proper answer. Is it pay monthly / pay every year? How much?

Win 10 has never been "free".

With buying a new laptop or other prebuilt...
D

Deleted member 14196

You can use windows 10 for free as long as you like you just won’t be able to change the watermark or the wallpaper

Mar 29, 2022
Microsoft allows anyone to download Windows 10 for free and install it without a product key. It’ll keep working for the foreseeable future, with only a few small cosmetic restrictions. And you can even pay to upgrade to a licensed copy of Windows 10 after you install it.

Reactions: Krotow

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
There is no 30 day trial, you either have a license or you don’t. I suspect this trial is for an Office 365 subscription and not your Windows license. When you bought the laptop it should have said whether it included a Windows license or not.

this is most likely what you are seeing. very unlikely you bought a laptop with no windows key. i don't think it even has a 30 day window if you install win 10 anyway. it's either activated or it is not.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Okay. Thanks for all your answeres. I never heard of Microsoft NOT wanting to charge for Windows.

Just one thing though.
" you just won’t be able to change the watermark or the wallpaper "

AND. I am getting pop up screens telling me to download Windows 11. If I don't want to do this will I get plauged by these pop ups?

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Thanks everyone for all your help. I have spent days on a Microsoft forum and they could have told me all that.

Can I quote from the Microsoft forum
Upgrading (some would say 'downgrading')

THANK YOU.

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable

"Legit" Windows 7 keys work on both, Windows 10 & 11.
If not, you can buy a functional Windows 10 key from eBay or some other site for just $10-$20 USD.

USAFRet

Titan

Win 10 has never been "free".

With buying a new laptop or other prebuilt system (Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc), the Windows 10 license was included in the purchase price.
Unless specified otherwise in what you purchased.

What you're seeing about "30 days" is a trial for Office.
Not your Windows 10.

For the Win 11 upgrade, just tell it "No". It will probably eventually stop bugging you.

Solution