[SOLVED] Is Windows 11 support for AMD FX-9830P APU?

SakakiKomachi

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
I have motherboard called Biostar A10N-9830E that has CPU and iGPU built in. The mobo itself has AMD FX-9830P and Radeon R7.

Is the spec above can run Windows 11? I have SSD on my laptop that has Win11 inside, so I want to move the SSD to my pc.

Solution
That is a mobile processor from the last throes of AMD trying to stick it out with the FX line. This is just a bit before Ryzen broke. I cannot imagine too many CPU that are modern enough and meet the requirements of W11 that would perform worse than the mobile FX, even on the low end of modern. This is, of course, assuming the laptop you are considering the move from is also actually supported hardware.

There are a lot of really cool Linux distro that have exceptional support for AMD. I think rather than go unlicensed on W10, or try to squirrel something up to make it run on W11, I would load it with Ubuntu or Mint (etc.) I surely would not throw good money on an official OS license at that.

SakakiKomachi

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
There's no official support for it. You may be able to install it by messing with the installer, but don't expect it to work correctly.

Also don't run an OS that was installed on another computer. You'll run into a ton of issues.
oh really? thanks for the info dude, i appreciate it! I'll flash my SSD rn. Thanks:)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is a mobile processor from the last throes of AMD trying to stick it out with the FX line. This is just a bit before Ryzen broke. I cannot imagine too many CPU that are modern enough and meet the requirements of W11 that would perform worse than the mobile FX, even on the low end of modern. This is, of course, assuming the laptop you are considering the move from is also actually supported hardware.

There are a lot of really cool Linux distro that have exceptional support for AMD. I think rather than go unlicensed on W10, or try to squirrel something up to make it run on W11, I would load it with Ubuntu or Mint (etc.) I surely would not throw good money on an official OS license at that.

Reactions: SakakiKomachi
Solution

SakakiKomachi

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
Even if the CPU and motherboard in the desktop were WIn 11 capable (they aren't) , you can't simply move the drive from your laptop tot he desktop, and expect it to work.
I ever move the SSD from my laptop to PC once, it works but lotta issues like drivers. Well, now I already formated my SSD, boutta back to W10. Thanks for the answer:)

I ever move the SSD from my laptop to PC once, it works but lotta issues like drivers. Well, now I already formated my SSD, boutta back to W10. Thanks for the answer:)
If you really want to try Win11 you can install it even on your unsupported CPU:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

But I wouldn't. Microsoft won't support you (duh) so they won't answer questions or give any help when it crashes. Besides, Windows10 is still just as good, and actually (by many accounts)...better. Nothing to make it more attractive except it's new-ness.

No its not supported, but you can get it to work, I do this on my Xeon system, works great, even updates just fine, I followed Tech Yes City's guide on youtube, you have to move a file around from a windows 10 ISO to the Windows 11 ISO and it works just fine. I suggest you look it up or follow that guide above, You will have to reinstall windows though.

USAFRet

Titan
The real question is WHY?
This is a platform that is almost 5 years old.

Win 10 runs just fine on it, and will until at least 2025.
This system will be near a decade old by the time Win 10 falls off support. Win 11 brings zero performance benefit to this device.

TRENDING THREADS