Is Windows 7 still the most beautiful OS by MS today?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I don't think the interface is dated. The interface is still very practical and in many ways a lot more practical than Windows 8.1 and 10. Windows 7 can still handle practically any sort of Windows user from the heavy gamer to the ones who do heavy video editing and even some programming.

As for its beauty, yes, I meant aesthetically beautiful, to me, Windows 7 is still the most beautiful OS by MS, in second place, in my opinion, comes Vista then XP.

When it comes to visual and interface I believe what happened with Windows after 7 was that MS tried to adapt to the tablets and phones interface and still have the usability and beauty of Windows 7. So far, I don't think MS has achieved it, Windows 10 still looks and feels more like a phone's OS than a desktop or laptop OS.

USAFRet

Titan
What's funny to me is this obsession over the OS interface.
Except for the incredibly rare instances of touching Metro, Win 7, 8.1, and 10 all look pretty much the same. I see my desktop.

And I use applications, not the OS. My main graphics application looks 99% the same on Win 10 as it does on Win 8.1. And acts 100% the same.

To each his own, i guess.

The bottom line too, is that using any of the MANY shell skins/interfaces out there, ANY of the OS's can look like, and have the functional menus/behaviors, of any of the other OS's. It's really a moot point. SOME kind of shell skin is going to be used no matter what. It's all called up by way of specific registry settings, and the programs that configure changes to those can make any OS look and act like any other OS, whilst still maintaining the core functionality of itself. So, use whichever you like and make it look however you like. That's all.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Even with the mods available on the net I don't think you can make 8.1 or 10 look as good as 7, even when you get the aero on 8.1 or 10 you still get the rough edges.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
People like Windows 7 now because it's stable compared to Windows 10, and Windows 8 was a mess and a half, but eventually it evened out. These OS' are all cyclical. Once MS nails the OS, they release a new POS OS that early adopters love and cynics are like 'It's no better than Windows [place OS here]'. In a few years people will be debating Windows 10 or Windows 11.

I understand the caching but the way I measure RAM usage is fresh boot. In Linux it depends on cached stuff and how much RAM you have, after a while. The more memory, the more is cached.
I did install Antergos with OpenBox couple days ago, I like it. Triple boot.
I like testing stuff out. Windows does not really allow that, in any meaningful way.

Win 7 is my favorite if I didn't say earlier. Gadgets the main reason. Why those got removed, I don't understand.

You do know that Windows "prefetches" frequently used stuff into memory as it loads, right?

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

That would have been a valid way of looking at in in 1995 :)

These days if you have loads of really free ram, your OS is doing something wrong. Windows and Linux alike. Just because windows 'uses' more right after boot is meaningless. If you have more it will use more. If you have less its just as happy.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

You do know that that is the first thing I turn off, right? Superfetch, prefetch, all that junk.

I'd like to use my RAM for programs, not for the OS.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Do you turn it off because you use an SSD or what?

Why bother?

JohnsonMcGee

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I've got a Windows 7 desktop and a Win 10 Laptop. IMO 10 is the 'prettier' of the two but the interface changes still took some getting used to from 7. The only thing bad about 10 I've encountered are some questionable privacy policies regarding Cortana and such and the lack of ability to set updates to manual download. Some unsung perks to 10 that I've noticed are how easy it is to get new peripherals working, driver installation is much quicker and more reliable than for 7.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
I tried Windows 10 Tech Preview and liked it bugs aside but still like the fact that XP and 7 feel more like driving a stick car where 8 and 10 feel like driving a sequential manual gearbox, basically no clutch pedal.

I hate when computer try to think for you. The tiles thing with Windows 8 I will never get used to or like. Its nice on an xbox or if I was 14 and all I wanted to do was play games. Win 10 was a decent mix, would you all say it is worth the free upgrade?

And if I did the free upgrade would I be able to install Win 7 on another HDD in the same rig and use the same license key to activate it?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I guess it will be an actual UP grade in a couple of years time, until then Windows 7 and even 8.1 will be better, at least 8.1 is more stable.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I've never seen a remarkable difference in gaming performance between 7, 8.1 and 10.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

There is a difference between Free and Available. Just like Linux windows will pretty much use all your ram for cache. Check resource monitor, not taskmanager. You'll see most of your ram is in 'Standby' and has data in it.

Luther Bird

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Well said. I don't want to turn my PC into a phone.