Is Windows 7 still the most beautiful OS by MS today?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USAFRet

Titan

Somewhere in the archives here, I have the original WinME reinstall CD's for my dad's old Sony laptop.
They shall stay lost...:lol:

I think I have at least one copy of all these:

1.0 (Run from floppy), 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.10, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, ME, 98, 98SE, 286, 386, 8, 8.1, 8 Pro, 7, 10, workgroups 3.11, NT 3.51 server, NT 3.51 workstation, server 2008 x64, 2000 and NT 4.

In every case, complaints were pretty much the same. Notice, no Vista. That was thrown away as unfit for use with anything.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Following that line of thought(which is correct), I hope MS will bring back to Win10 the Aero missing since Windows 7.

Well it depends on what flavor of Linux and what built in features are running. A very base version of Linux with almost no features will run very lean. Hell you can make Windows run lean by disabling a lot of the flashy stuff and turning off all the extra services. Thing is that Windows is so widely used that they can't have those services off by default as they need to cover as wide of a user base as possible while Linux is used mostly, I know some use it in other ways, by people who are more tech savvy and can customize it to do what they want.

That said, 1.5GB is actually high. Windows 7 was around 800-900MB after a clean install and 8/10 were about 800MB after a clean install. Even so memory is cheap and going to get cheaper. Most systems start with 8GB and most mid end go to 16GB with 32GB becoming affordable in the high end. That extra 400MB with 16GB of RAM is near pointless and almost no normal applications take advantage of all memory and those that do are normally in workstation PCs with 32GB of RAM.

ME was welll...... Crap. I mean people say Vista was bad but ME was just, it wasn't even in alpha.

I clean installed Windows 10 on a Prescott based Celeron D system, single core, from about 2004-2005, that had Windows 7 on it (So it must have been upgraded at some point because I'm pretty sure it came with XP) and it runs fine. It had trouble with the integrated motherboard graphics driver at first, and I couldn't find any drivers that would work with it, but about a half hour after being connected to the internet it found one itself, and has worked without issue, other than being old and slow, ever since. That's at least an 11 year old system, maybe 12.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Points in favor of Windows 10! That's great if only 10 could really do it as it appears to be the case.

asgard1123

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
When it comes to system management 7 is cleaner to use than 10. Its all there somewhere in 10 but getting to it is more difficult. Networking is still rubbish because MS will insist on dictating to the user what they should have, instead of allowing what they want. The lock screen annoys, because there is no need for it. The control panel still exists even though Settings is the main access to control functions. I could go on and on. All of the things are fixable but there seems to be no will at MS to do so.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

It's this 'lack of will' that seems to have contaminated MS at some point between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

different strokes for different folks.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
To me, the perfect OS by MS would be an improved version of Windows 7, instead they've gone backwards in almost every single way starting with the exaggerated apps thing and the graphics also went backwards with the apps thing following the tablets and phones style.

Its all there somewhere in 10 but getting to it is more difficult.

Not really. Right click the start menu, select control panel, all the same options as 7. Every one of those applets in control panel still has pretty much exactly the same functionality as they did in 7. Some actually even have more options for configurability than they did then. Seems easier to get to than navigating through the menus to get to control panel. Power user shell if you know it's there.

I actually forgot about that method of getting to stuff (I have one 10 computer and 2 7 computers that I spend more time on). That does make commonly used "power user" stuff pretty easy to get to.

People don't like massive change or different ways of getting to things they once knew. I think that's why 8 was such a flop for MS.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Which is why eventually Windows 10 will become as good as Windows 7, at least in the eyes of most of its current critics.

USAFRet

Titan

Control panels.
Win 10 on the left, Win 8.1 on the right.
IUS8Se4.jpg

Identical.

praxis22

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

I think you misunderstand Linux. Sure it has a lower starting RAM profile, but it will then fill your RAM with cache to speed things up, this is my 12GB desktop:

# free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 11969 11827 142 63 85 2949
-/+ buffers/cache: 8792 3177
Swap: 24580 1636 22944

According to that I have 12GB RAM and 142MB free, but I don't have problems as much of it is simply cached, which will disappear if need be. I also see you're a Luddite using Mate. :) Why not use Arch?

Luther Bird

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

snyphul - This is beautiful, perfect! No way I could have said it better.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Yes, in my opinion - I prefer Windows 7 over anything else. 10 is good as well, though I don't like the automatic updates not being able to be disabled, and I also still like XP, but XP is getting too old to use as a main OS and I only use XP for programs that are incompatible with 7.

I bought a new laptop last November which had 10 preinstalled, but because it was to replace a laptop with 7 on it, and quite a lot of games wouldn't run on 10, I got my local computer shop to dual boot 10 and 7 for me.

I've been considering which to use as my main OS, and I was going to choose 10 - but I think I will now use 7 as my main OS. Why? Because games that run on 7 don't run on 10, and my inbuilt graphics card (Intel HD 4400) won't run many games full screen (or at all) on the 10 partition, yet they work just fine on the 7 partition on fullscreen (and do run). Plus, I need to sort out a "system and compressed memory" issue, which I will get round to.

In my opinion, from best to worst:
1. Windows 7
2. Windows 10/Windows XP
3. Windows Vista (had experience on a Vista machine a few times, but Vista is very slow and had very high CPU?RAM requirements for its time. My XP machine states that it is Vista capable - I doubt it'd run very nicely.)
4. Windows 8/8.1. I got my Windows 8.1 machine upgraded to 10 a few weeks ago, and 10 is much better - I know where to find things on 10, and I know how 10 works - yet doing anything other than the most simple of tasks was a pain with Windows 8/8.1!

For the record: I've had a small amount of experience with Mac OS X and Linux, but haven't had enough experience of the OSes in order to rate them - but they should be easier to use than 8 or 8.1. I also used a Windows 95 and a Windows ME system previously (a lot of years ago, though) - and although they were good OSes for their time, they are, simply put, ancient now. Many programs that were built for Windows 95/98/2000/ME will run fine in XP, and a couple of them will even run in Windows 7 (though not brilliantly - XP is more suited to those programs).

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

I understand the caching but the way I measure RAM usage is fresh boot. In Linux it depends on cached stuff and how much RAM you have, after a while. The more memory, the more is cached.
I did install Antergos with OpenBox couple days ago, I like it. Triple boot.
I like testing stuff out. Windows does not really allow that, in any meaningful way.

Win 7 is my favorite if I didn't say earlier. Gadgets the main reason. Why those got removed, I don't understand.

USAFRet

Titan

Because they were a major security hole.
Those gadgets were basically just tiny web pages, running on your desktop. The source for that could have been changed, or compromised, and it would just run automagically on your desktop.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gadgets

Gadgets have been discontinued

Gadgets are no longer available on our website because the Windows Sidebar platform in Windows 7 and Windows Vista has serious vulnerabilities. Microsoft has retired the feature in newer releases of Windows. Gadgets could be exploited to harm your computer, access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time. An attacker could even use a gadget to take complete control of your PC