Is Windows 8 a very vulnerable OS?

solkeher

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Hello, I recently installed Windows 8 on my custom built PC. I use it for gaming mostly, and installed my steam games along with software I have used in my windows 7 machine. Recently my windows 8 PC was giving me a lot of performance issues, it would suddenly freeze, slow down, and missing drivers.

I decided to do a virus scan with Norton Internet Security and the first startup files that were being scanned had interesting names such as "infostealer.snifula.b" and "backdoor.rustock.a" anyways, I have a bunch of screenshots of the "files" below. I did some research and most of this are viruses from the XP era.

They are old viruses prominent in that time... what I'm curious is as to why Norton is not detecting them as threats? I also used Windows Malicious Software removal tool and found nothing. I did the same with malwarebytes antimalware as well as AVG free... all of them found nothing.

Is windows 8 immune to this kind of viruses or the viruses are bypassing the anti-virus software? I'm very disappointed, my windows 7 machine has never been infected like my windows 8 machine... I'm thinking that windows 8 is just a very exploitable OS. I'm considering to downgrade to windows 7...

But it's interesting that most of this spyware and adware do things like change desktop background, and display crazy pop-up messages... something that has not happened. Everything seems normal in my windows 8 machine.

Below are the ridiculous amount of viruses in my windows 8 machine, all which go undetected by any antivirus software I install.

infostealer.png

gammina.png

backdoora.png
spywareezurl.png

sunshinespy.png
coreguard.png

backdoorb.png
backdoortsdserv.png
safestrip.png.html
adwareborlan.png.html
dialersfonditalia.png.html
trojangpcoder.png.html
vbsrunauto.png.html
hacktoolunreal.png.html

Any ideas on how to remove them without re-installing OS?

Solution
Is it actually finding these? I believe it's just listing what the name of the virus being checked for is. Not that the virus is actually there. Where's you're screen shot showing how many threats found?
The number in the top line is the number of items scanned not the number of viruses found. I feel like I must really be misunderstanding you or you are stressing yourself out over a small misread which happens to some of even the smartest of us.

I have Windows 8.1 (originally 8 but now 8.1 after the free upgrade) with no problems and am running Norton with Malwarebytes (lifetime account)

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Is it actually finding these? I believe it's just listing what the name of the virus being checked for is. Not that the virus is actually there. Where's you're screen shot showing how many threats found?
The number in the top line is the number of items scanned not the number of viruses found. I feel like I must really be misunderstanding you or you are stressing yourself out over a small misread which happens to some of even the smartest of us.

I have Windows 8.1 (originally 8 but now 8.1 after the free upgrade) with no problems and am running Norton with Malwarebytes (lifetime account)

Solution

solkeher

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

I rerun Malware Bytes and found some adware program, just one with a very weird name... Anyways, you are right...!!

Thank you, lol... It is indeed checking for all of those viruses. I thought it was scanning those "files"

I freaked out because I saw the infostealer malware and I recently received an email from my bank telling me that my debit card had been compromised so I was being issued a new one. So I freaked out badly. Likewise my PC was just going crazy (which I still don't know what caused it to become unstable).

Thanks for the clarification, and excuse my ignorance! lol