Is windows defender good and effective as an antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aneek

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Hello guys,
I have installed windows 8 consumer version.But due to some unknown reason I cannot run network apps like mozilla,chrome or internet explorer after installing 3rd party antivirus like Avast and norton.I have posted my problem yesterday in the community.
Anyway,I have to now rely on windows defender now until someone give me any suggestion.But is windows defender a good antivirus?Is it as good as avast or norton or any other well-known antivirus.Can it detect trojans,malwares,spywares,viruses effectively?

Aneek

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks CDdude55 for your reply.I also prefer AVAST.But due to some unknown reason after installing avast all the network apps stop working(though I am connected to network).I have posted the problem in detail windows 8 forum of tom's hardware.I am yet to get an answer.
If you know the solution then please give a reply.

CDdude55

Distinguished

Haven't tried the Windows 8 consumer preview, but it might be a problem that will be fixed with the retail release of the OS if someone can not find fix for it currently.

Post back here if you get an answer for the issue over there. It would help us if the issue arises form some here.

Aneek

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Thanks CDdude55 for your reply. :)
I also have the same opinion of yours;it might be a problem of the OS.Hope it will be fixed in the final release.
Surely I will post if I can solve the problem.

Jo14hn6

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
I had the same issue earlier today. I tried turning off Windows Defender because I wanted to update my MSE (which I had installed immediately after downloading the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the very first day it was available). I think that I was able to use MSE because I downloaded it so early on. It no longer allows me to install updates for MSE, even though it was installed. I turned off Windows Defender, and tried to update MSE to no avail. I then tried uninstalling MSE thinking that might fix the issue; no success. After this I tried turning Windows defender back on, and it kept saying that it was no longer monitoring my system. However, it would not let me open the program. I found no information on the internet on how to get Windows Defender working again and was forced to reinstall the Consumer Preview. I'm going with issues with the OS.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Windows 8 Defender includes MSE, so you do not have to install MSE.

kewltoyz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Same here, I installed it out of curiosity and it is working well enough.
The OS hasn't slowed down at all and just made me feel comfortable having something to use for safe browsing.
Initializing Windows Media Center was a bit confusing initially (no pun intended).
I still need to install content packs for playing DVD's with it.
But I have been using it for a month as a Media center PC hooked up to my TV.
I watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Google Play fairly well. Although Amazon did have some playback audio & quality issues, the others work very well.
I was disappointed that Windows Mail won't let me use multiple email accounts, I liked the interface.
I installed Live Mail Desktop and it works decent as expected though.

xconvict

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
i have never had any problems with windows defender or Microsoft security essentials, however have many problems with avira and avast. Windows defender has conflicts with 3rd party antivirus software. If running 3rd party u must disable windows defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.