[SOLVED] Is windows power management safe to use often?

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
This may be a silly question, but I don't have much money and I want to protect what I have over as long a time as possible.

Exact question is, is it acceptable and safe to always turn my power management to best energy savings and set maximum processor state to 99% through the windows power management/plans when not gaming, and set to best performance and 100% processor state during gaming?

I've read that it's the actual monitoring program constantly "waking up" the processor, and the processor interprets it as a bursty load and turbos to 4.4ghz and 1.48 volts and 60-70ish on temperature (around 35 idle). I realize this is mostly if not completely normal for a 3700x, but even basic browsing and video watching still seems to get a little toasty and uses a lot of power, as well as other very non-intensive tasks. Just wondering if it can cause damage over time if I'm constantly switching the power and processor states within windows power and sleep options to save a few degrees and dollars when all that power isn't needed for just browsing, and then switching to full power when gaming

Solution
Windows does not provide best energy saving power management for Ryzen processors, especially starting with 3rd generation Ryzen 3000 series. You far better off using the Ryzen Balanced power plan and leave it unaltered because it fully enables the processor to manage itself. That means leave CPU at 100% max processor state and 99% minimum.

Ryzen monitors and adjust individual core clocks and voltage up to 100 times a second, that's orders of magnitude more frequently than Windows does. It tries to keep cores in a 'deep sleep' state and then boost a single core to max boost clock to run a process quickly then return the core to a 'deep sleep'. When it does that it will spike temperature but it's a very minor thermal input. There are...
Windows does not provide best energy saving power management for Ryzen processors, especially starting with 3rd generation Ryzen 3000 series. You far better off using the Ryzen Balanced power plan and leave it unaltered because it fully enables the processor to manage itself. That means leave CPU at 100% max processor state and 99% minimum.

Ryzen monitors and adjust individual core clocks and voltage up to 100 times a second, that's orders of magnitude more frequently than Windows does. It tries to keep cores in a 'deep sleep' state and then boost a single core to max boost clock to run a process quickly then return the core to a 'deep sleep'. When it does that it will spike temperature but it's a very minor thermal input. There are dozens of sensor all over the processor and it's reading out the highest tiny spot at the moment. It's like a match in the room, the match is hot the room is not. You have to light dozens of matches and keep them lit a long time to see any rise in room temperature.

You can't really see the true thermal state of the processor from monitoring an instantaneous readout because all you're catching are the 'spikes'. You need to get an averaging temperature readout, like that in RyzenMaster and also one in HWInfo64.

Also use the latest versions of HWInfo64 and it will not interfere with Ryzen cores that are in sleep states. Also be sure to set up the processor right: use latest BIOS and latest AMD chipset drivers that installs the Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Last edited:
Solution