Is windows re-installation required after upgrading motherboard, CPU, and RAM?

Jabad96

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
I am planning on upgrading my motherboard, CPU, and RAM and I am currently running a digital copy of windows 10 Pro on my computer, which is registered under my Microsoft account. My concern is since I don't have a physical copy of windows 10 Pro and it is just installed on my computer, will I still be able to boot my windows normally after I have replaced the motherboard, CPU, and RAM?

Wolfshadw

Titan
It might work, but you'd be better off just doing a clean install anyway.

Your can get Windows 10 Pro Media from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Be sure to pay attention to the note:

If you are re-installing Windows 10 Pro for Workstations on your PC, you need to create installation media using the Media Creation Tool and choose Windows 10 as your edition. When you start the installation, choose to skip entering a product key, and instead choose to install Windows 10 Pro. Once you are at the Windows 10 Pro desktop, from the Start Menu, click Settings then Update & security, and Activation. If your PC was previously running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, click the Go to store button and you can reclaim the edition change to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations at no additional charge.

-Wolf sends

Jabad96

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
I spoke with a Microsoft Technician, and I was told Windows will boot again as usual after the hardware changes. The only thing I will have to do is apply the Windows activation key to activate my copy of windows again.

USAFRet

Titan

Anyone who says it always works, even a "Microsoft technician", is blowing smoke.

It might, it might not.

3 possible outcomes:

1. It boot up just fine and runs perfectly
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you encounter issues later.

I've personally had all 3.