[SOLVED] Is Windows Readycache a persistent cache?

Colif

Win 10 Master
readyboost adds to ram, not storage

it stores superfetch, which is sort of storage but its normally in ram, not on a drive.

the superfetch cache is also tiny so it might not make a great difference to his ssd.
If he wants more space he better off with a bigger ssd.

i bought 3 USB 3.1 USB flash drives earlier today, 1 x 256 & 2 x 32gb, 300mb/s tfr speed. they weren't that cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: USAFRet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I don't. I'm asking for a friend. He has a PC with a small SSD and a huge HDD. He was wondering if he got this 64GB flash drive Newegg has on sale for $6.99... if it would cache his HDD so his games (on HDD) would load quicker next time he turned on his PC.

Colif

Win 10 Master
readyboost adds to ram, not storage

it stores superfetch, which is sort of storage but its normally in ram, not on a drive.

the superfetch cache is also tiny so it might not make a great difference to his ssd.
If he wants more space he better off with a bigger ssd.

i bought 3 USB 3.1 USB flash drives earlier today, 1 x 256 & 2 x 32gb, 300mb/s tfr speed. they weren't that cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: USAFRet

hotaru.hino

Commendable
Sep 1, 2020
I don't. I'm asking for a friend. He has a PC with a small SSD and a huge HDD. He was wondering if he got this 64GB flash drive Newegg has on sale for $6.99... if it would cache his HDD so his games (on HDD) would load quicker next time he turned on his PC.
ReadyBoost only affects the OS components. User applications like games won't get counted.

If your friend wants faster load times, get an SSD. Even a 1TB SATA SSD is relatively affordable these days.

Colif

Win 10 Master
if anything it will slow him down, as moving the cache off an ssd that can run at up to 550mb per second, to a USB that is running at... that USB tfr rate is 80mb/s. Thats one way to slow things down.
I wonder how it works out if its worth even using it?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
if anything it will slow him down, as moving the cache off an ssd that can run at up to 550mb per second, to a USB that is running at... that USB tfr rate is 80mb/s. Thats one way to slow things down.
I wonder how it works out if its worth even using it?
In the depths of time before actual solid state drives, it might have been considered 'useful'.
As in "it can be done, but why bother'.

Like the various vids we used to see about making a RAID 0 out of 4/6/8 flash drives in a USB hub.
Yes, it can be done. But WHY?

Colif

Win 10 Master
readyboost made sense when PC's had 500mb of ram and you could get a USB to add more. I used to use it long ago, but once PC has 16gb of ram its hardly useful.

think it exists now to be used with Optane

ASK THE COMMUNITY