is Windows search allmost imposible to kill?

theo.esk

Proper
Mar 14, 2018
Hi all you lovely people.
I'm here with a rather hard problem to solve or should i say a rather difficult challenge.

I've got this HP Elitebook 8440p
Windows 10 pro - version 1709 - OS build version 16299.309
I5 - M520 - 2,40 GHz 2 physical core and 4 logical cores
4 gb ram
with a Intel SSD 150 gb

So i'm gonna use this pc as an live musical instrument with a midi keyboard Reaper DAW and some hardcore vst plugins and instruments, which i can run fine in win 7 without a hitch/glitch.

so i need as much ram as i possibly can get out of this machine, and by so doing is to remove all unnecessary background services and disabling a lot of stuff in the GPEDIT.MSC (group policy editor).
now i've disabled all that i can incl. windows defender, windows update, windows store, windows maps, and even cortana. i've dissable background intelligent transfer, windows update, windows defender and windows search in the services manager.

i've run into this problem that in the group policy editor under Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search iv'e disabled all rules that apply to cortana iv'e enabled all of the prevention rules (i can't mention them all here, there's all lot) i've disabled all of the indexing rules.

i've blocked cortana in the regeditor. i really need to shut that program down because it takes up to much ram when it runs 20-30% at least.

Why does that background search program still run even if i have disabled it all the right places?
how can i shut it down perminantly?

Cheers! :D

Solution
Did you try the following:
Permanently Disabling the Cortana Task

You can disable the Cortana task, but doing so will unfortunately also disable the Windows Start Menu search feature (the File Explorer search still works). To permanently disable the Cortana task:

Go to C:\Windows\SystemApps
Rename the folder Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy (For example, put a "z" at the beginning)
When the Folder Access Denied dialog box appears, click Continue
The Folder In Use dialog box will appear if the Cortana task is currently running. Leave the dialog box open, go to Task Manager, end the Cortana task, then quickly click the Try Again button on the dialog box.

I found it here...

th3p00r

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016
Did you try the following:
Permanently Disabling the Cortana Task

You can disable the Cortana task, but doing so will unfortunately also disable the Windows Start Menu search feature (the File Explorer search still works). To permanently disable the Cortana task:

Go to C:\Windows\SystemApps
Rename the folder Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy (For example, put a "z" at the beginning)
When the Folder Access Denied dialog box appears, click Continue
The Folder In Use dialog box will appear if the Cortana task is currently running. Leave the dialog box open, go to Task Manager, end the Cortana task, then quickly click the Try Again button on the dialog box.

I found it here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana-winpc/how-to-disable-cortana-from-task-manager/6b8d1899-776e-42d3-ad96-a61fdb04adff

Good luck,

Solution
Have you checked your services? Many services including the Search Indexer/ Windows Search
disable_indexing_service.png
and Print Spooler can be disabled.

From then on you can use Everything for your search needs. You can set a lot of different filters.

theo.esk

Proper
Mar 14, 2018

Yes. i have done that with success after a lot of tries, it's time crucial. one has to be fast on the buttons. it's like a split second act reaction because windows search is fast to reboot it self up again.
thanks for this suggestion it helped and it worked brilliantly. i'm marking this as the answer and solution to my problem. :D :bounce: