Question Is windows update disable safe

Which windows ? W10, updates are useful as it's mostly security updates and bug fixes except for bi-yearly feature updates that bring some new stuff as well as performance updates. It can be harmful if it doesn't go thru or is stopped while working. If you are using Windows defender, it may update several times a day with new virus definitions. If you are using 3rd party AV, it's wise to disable it before feature updates as it may interfere. Stopping updates by force can have unpredictable results.
Keep regular system and other backups and you are as safe as it could be.

Jun 16, 2019
Which windows ? W10, updates are useful as it's mostly security updates and bug fixes except for bi-yearly feature updates that bring some new stuff as well as performance updates. It can be harmful if it doesn't go thru or is stopped while working. If you are using Windows defender, it may update several times a day with new virus definitions. If you are using 3rd party AV, it's wise to disable it before feature updates as it may interfere. Stopping updates by force can have unpredictable results.
r
Yes all windows

Jun 16, 2019
All windows

All windows
Updates are not same for all versions of windows and method of delivering is widely different.
XP, nothing for general public. Updates were delivered in shape of 3 Service packs.
Vista, none I'm aware of, seems to be abandoned altogether.
W7. one service pack and some security updates, it would be wise to update as it's less secure now.
W8/8.1, very similar to W10, I don't have it installed anywhere but there are only security updates, also wise to install.
W10, regular, several times a day WD data base updates, wouldn't miss those for anything.
Security updates and bug fixes mostly on first Tuesday of the month, those are practically a must.
Biannual Cumulative/quality updates bring new stuff so may be wise to delay it until sure they wouldn't muck up anything. MS started offering them only when they are sure it would work but criteria is not known at this time. I don't think it's valid as it wasn't offered to me although it worked out fine when I updated it thru ISO downloaded thru MCT.
I have been an insider since the beginning so I can pretty well see what's coming way in advance.

Jun 16, 2019
Updates are not same for all versions of windows and method of delivering is widely different.
XP, nothing for general public. Updates were delivered in shape of 3 Service packs.
Vista, none I'm aware of, seems to be abandoned altogether.
W7. one service pack and some security updates, it would be wise to update as it's less secure now.
W8/8.1, very similar to W10, I don't have it installed anywhere but there are only security updates, also wise to install.
W10, regular, several times a day WD data base updates, wouldn't miss those for anything.
Security updates and bug fixes mostly on first Tuesday of the month, those are practically a must.
Biannual Cumulative/quality updates bring new stuff so may be wise to delay it until sure they wouldn't muck up anything. MS started offering them only when they are sure it would work but criteria is not known at this time. I don't think it's valid as it wasn't offered to me although it worked out fine when I updated it thru ISO downloaded thru MCT.
I have been an insider since the beginning so I can pretty well see what's coming way in advance.
I was disable windows update now do you recommend to open windows 8.1

TRENDING THREADS