[SOLVED] Is winver downgrade possible using virtual machine?

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Hello everyone!

I was about to get myself a Forza Horizon 4 for my PC Windows 10 version 2004, however, I have read in so many forums that the game is broken since the 2004 update. It was working fine until the "upgrade" from 1909. The furthest date I saw was May 14th 2020 when one person posted in Microsoft forum that the update broke the game, and the most recent comment there was October 22th 2020. Basically, Microsoft doesn't give a <Mod Edit> about people who payed over $100 for a game and does nothing to fix the problem and patch the game.

Naturally, the only way for the players to play the game is to downgrade Win 10 to 1909, however, some people don't have that luxury to throw money away for a single game to be playable, nor do they wish to go through clean install and installing everything on their PC over again, so that got me thinking...

Is it possible at all to use a "virtual machine" and install a previous version on it? I have a Win 10 version 2004 as a main, and I wish to install a 1909 on a virtual machine with only Forza Horizon 4 installed on it. Am I a genius or should I...you know...stop thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hello everyone!

I was about to get myself a Forza Horizon 4 for my PC Windows 10 version 2004, however, I have read in so many forums that the game is broken since the 2004 update. It was working fine until the "upgrade" from 1909. The furthest date I saw was May 14th 2020 when one person posted in Microsoft forum that the update broke the game, and the most recent comment there was October 22th 2020. Basically, Microsoft doesn't give a <Mod Edit> about people who payed over $100 for a game and does nothing to fix the problem and patch the game.

Naturally, the only way for the players to play the game is to downgrade Win 10 to 1909, however, some people don't have that luxury to throw money away for a single game to be playable...
Hello everyone!

Naturally, the only way for the players to play the game is to downgrade Win 10 to 1909, however, some people don't have that luxury to throw money away for a single game to be playable, nor do they wish to go through clean install and installing everything on their PC over again, so that got me thinking...

Is it possible at all to use a "virtual machine" and install a previous version on it? I have a Win 10 version 2004 as a main, and I wish to install a 1909 on a virtual machine with only Forza Horizon 4 installed on it. Am I a genius or should I...you know...stop thinking?
Most players could play the game on Win 10 version 2004. There are several issues plaguing that game.
It could be corrupted game files or data, sound settings issues, compatibility with other running software or services, etc.
Even though you might be opening a new can of worms, by running the game in a VM, you could download and install Winver 10 1909 from Microsoft website.
You just need the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool version 1909 or the bootable USB tool Rufus.
  1. Playing through a VM is likely to be less than stellar performance.
  2. Don't blame MS, blame the game developers, for not making their game compatible with the mainstream OS.
Second that.
Even though Microsoft have released many updates that have caused issues, those major updates are available months in advance for game developers to test games.
Next year release is already available.

Reactions: Raikko Kiminen
Solution

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Funny that you say that:

As FH4 is developed in partnership with Microsoft essentially... having problems between a game published by them and their OS is quite embarrassing.
Exactly w
  1. Playing through a VM is likely to be less than stellar performance.
  2. Don't blame MS, blame the game developers, for not making their game compatible with the mainstream OS.
Pardon me if my understanding of the situation is wrong, but it's not the same as Epic or Steam which are a platform for themselves. FH series is on the Microsoft store, not on any platform but on their own store on the OS with no 3rd party, am I correct? Seeing it that way, as Microsoft did nothing to make sure it's own game is playable on it's own OS (I emphasize "it's own" because there is no 3rd party involved) it is Microsoft's fault for the game not being playable, partly or fully doesn't matter. As I said, I don't completely understand how it is but this is the way I see it, and I might be wrong.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
People always blame the Windows upgrade when it's very likely a driver issue caused by the upgrade somewhere else causing issues. The vast majority of people have no problem with version 2004 and FH4. I certainly haven't had any issues whatsoever. If there was a widespread problem, it's extremely likely they'd fix it.

Microsoft is the publisher of the game, but Microsoft Store is curated like the stores from Google or Apple. It's not just things made by Microsoft.

Reactions: Raikko Kiminen