[SOLVED] Is worth getting an Archer C6 for my 20mbps ISP Speed?

Jul 2, 2019
due to cuarantine I'm staying at home with my parents and my brother in our house in the country side. We thought on getting a faster ISP connection but the cap here is at 20mbps. We currently have a 802.11n 2.4 Ghz single band modem from our ISP but we usually have some trouble with our internet connection due to using multiple devices. My cuestion is: Is it worth it to get a Dual band 802.11ac modem despite having only 20mbps internet speed? I have read that 5Ghz bands are less saturated and MU-MIMO let's multiple devices to join without interference so that's why I'm thinking to get a new modem. However if there isn't any change or a slightly one I don't think is worth to spend more than 50 bucks in a modem that I won't use in the future. Is it worth it to get the Archer C6 even though my ISP only gives me 20mbps? For reference this is my current modem (imgur link) and this is my average speed in Fast.com

Solution
due to cuarantine I'm staying at home with my parents and my brother in our house in the country side. We thought on getting a faster ISP connection but the cap here is at 20mbps. We currently have a 802.11n 2.4 Ghz single band modem from our ISP but we usually have some trouble with our internet connection due to using multiple devices. My cuestion is: Is it worth it to get a Dual band 802.11ac modem despite having only 20mbps internet speed? I have read that 5Ghz bands are less saturated and MU-MIMO let's multiple devices to join without interference so that's why I'm thinking to get a new modem. However if there isn't any change or a slightly one I don't think is worth to spend more than 50 bucks in a modem that I won't use in...

kanewolf

Titan
due to cuarantine I'm staying at home with my parents and my brother in our house in the country side. We thought on getting a faster ISP connection but the cap here is at 20mbps. We currently have a 802.11n 2.4 Ghz single band modem from our ISP but we usually have some trouble with our internet connection due to using multiple devices. My cuestion is: Is it worth it to get a Dual band 802.11ac modem despite having only 20mbps internet speed? I have read that 5Ghz bands are less saturated and MU-MIMO let's multiple devices to join without interference so that's why I'm thinking to get a new modem. However if there isn't any change or a slightly one I don't think is worth to spend more than 50 bucks in a modem that I won't use in the future. Is it worth it to get the Archer C6 even though my ISP only gives me 20mbps? For reference this is my current modem (imgur link) and this is my average speed in Fast.com
A house in the countryside probably doesn't have a lot of contention on the 2.4Ghz band. A city apartment, is very different. BUT, a dual band router can still help when you have a lot of WIFI devices. Some can use 2.4Ghz and some can use 5Ghz. That doubles the available resources.
For best results you want to configure your existing combo unit in bridge mode so that it acts like a modem only. There are videos if you search for "VRV8019AW22 bridge mode"

Solution
I don't think you'll get any faster Internet speeds with a newer router, even over wifi. It really depends on how much ethernet congestion you are really getting on 802.11n 2.4. The best way would be to run an iperf test between a connected wifi devices and a wired one to see what type of bandwidth you have available. If you're not getting at least 50Mbps in those tests, then yes you could benefit from new wifi.

And be sure to use your new router as just an access point, or set up your existing router in bridge mode.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
What's the upload on that connection?

You're probably hitting a WAN bandwidth contention instead of a wireless one, although it may depend on how many devices you have on it. Dual band would help with wireless contention and give you more airspace (higher data rates on 5 GHz plus additional airspace if you straddle both bands).

If someone is trying to stream UHD from Netflix that would be ~25 Mbps, as an example, other common utilization issues are things like phones uploading to iCloud once they reconnect to wifi.