Is X470 board worth it?

Jun 28, 2018
The motherboard in question is the MSI X470 GAMING PRO AM4 ATX and i am comparing it to the B450 version. Yes, i know that the x470 has more connections and stuff, but is that all? Can you overclock on the B450? I also want to know if the x470 is somehow more future proofed because i will build a gaming rig around the Ryzen 5 1600x and then upgrade it to something better later. I heard that amd won't make a new line of cpu that require a motherboard change, am I right? So i can run a Ryzen 3rd gen cpu, when it comes, on the motherboard i buy now.

Solution
Yes, you can overclock on B450. The benefits of X470 are more connectors/ports (as you mentioned), multi-GPU support, and sometimes better VRMs (but often only on the high end models).

AMD has promised to support their current motherboard socket (AM4) until 2020. An X470 isn't really any more future proof than a B450.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you can overclock on B450. The benefits of X470 are more connectors/ports (as you mentioned), multi-GPU support, and sometimes better VRMs (but often only on the high end models).

AMD has promised to support their current motherboard socket (AM4) until 2020. An X470 isn't really any more future proof than a B450.

Solution