is Xeon E5-2651v2 supported by Asus P9x79?

starik

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Hello everyone!
I am thinking of buying Xeon E5-2651v2 (used certainly) for my Asus P9x79 motherboard.
Officially it is not listed anywhere supported on this P9x79 but I have read that sometimes manufactures just do not list complete list of supported Xeons...
Can I assume that E5-2651v2 also supported on P9X79?
Or is it better not take the risk of not booting system?
Thank you very much in advance!

Solution
That CPU was not sold directly by Intel. That is one reason there is no listed support. Even Intel's ARK website doesn't list it. A google search says that is a 1.8Ghz base clock CPU. It won't be very fast. If you are using this motherboard to run a webserver or for virtualization, that might be a good choice. For most of the users here, that is not a good choice for CPU.
There are other E5-2xxxV2 CPUs that are supported, so that would probably work but there is no guarantee since the manufacturer never tested it.

kanewolf

Titan
That CPU was not sold directly by Intel. That is one reason there is no listed support. Even Intel's ARK website doesn't list it. A google search says that is a 1.8Ghz base clock CPU. It won't be very fast. If you are using this motherboard to run a webserver or for virtualization, that might be a good choice. For most of the users here, that is not a good choice for CPU.
There are other E5-2xxxV2 CPUs that are supported, so that would probably work but there is no guarantee since the manufacturer never tested it.

Solution