Question Is xeon good for gaming

Mar 27, 2019
Hello guys im new and i need to tell u that i have 2 cpu xeon x5680. Is this good for gaming?My gpu is RX560 4gb but i know that cpu is important. Tnx anyway

kanewolf

Titan
In a workstation chassis like an HP Z820 or Dell T series it could be OK. In a 2U server chassis it would not be good.
That is a NINE year old CPU design that uses slow (by current standards) RAM. It is a 130W CPU so two of them would be 260W of heat in the room.
12 old slow CPU cores will get beaten badly by a $100 new CPU for gaming.

Apr 26, 2019
I'd say if you are aiming for 60fps game experience on 1080p even in newer titles paired with something like RX 570,580 or GTX 960,970,1050,1060.
You will be perfectly OK assuming you have 8GB of Ram (at least).
Fortnite will be ok, in fact fortnite can run on toaster (if you lower details and resolution enough) but don't expect Lara's latest SoTR to be super great detailed experience. But you will be ok playing Apex, Division 2, Anthem with reasonable playable frames. Just don't over spend on upgrading the graphic card. Also as mentioned above it is rather expensive heater (power consumption) so if you pair that with a graphic card just make sure your PSU can take that.

Oh and to answer your question, its good for gaming, yes (good enough). Great? no (heat, power consuption, old , slow ddr3 memory) interestingly enough it seems that your graphic card might actually be actually the bottleneck for you system

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS