[SOLVED] Is your AMD GPU Core Clock suppose to fluctuate while gaming? Comany giving me hard time RMAing.

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018
My RX 580 XXX 8gb DDR5 is suppose to boost clock to 1380mhz. So it does that when its under 89 degrees Celsius. But when it hits 89 degrees celsius because it slowly goes from 75 to 89 degrees within 10 minutes of play then the core clock drops once its hit 89 degrees celsius for a certain amount of time. I've replaced the thermal paste and its still doing the same thing. I'm only asking this question because XFX is giving me a hard time RMAing this card.

I just got this RX 580 XXX 8gb DDR5 as an RMA replacement and the last card I sent had the same issues overheating and they told me my last card was "no fault found". So the mean guy at XFX told me that if they find no issues with my card because he kept assuring me on the phone that 89 degrees Celsius is fine and if it was at 95 degrees Celsius we'd have an issue. I kept explaining that the boost clock wasn't maintaining its speed and fluctuating while gaming it would go from like 1290mhz to 1320mhz to 1350 to 1380mhz it wouldn't maintain its boost clock and he didn't even care. He's more concerned that 89 degrees Celsius on one of their flagship cooled cards is fine and doesn't even care to acknowledge the issue with my core clock. So what do you guys think I should do what should I tell XFX the next time I call because I don't want to send my card in and have it sent back because they tested it for like 10 minutes and found no issue because their obviously going to test it on an open air test bench. Keep in mind I've tested my GPU in 2 cases so far. And I own 3 cards a GTX 1070, RX 480 4gb, and a RX 580 and only the RX 580 gives me issues in terms of temperatures. MY GTX 1070 runs at only 75 degrees celsius. The RX 480 4gb at 80 degrees celsius at the max. And the RX 580 at 89 degrees celsius and this is all tested in the corsair carbide spec-04 case.

I want to send in the card and they approved my rma but they said that since my last card was no fault found they just automatically assume the RMA replacement they sent me the "RX 580 XXX 8gb DDR5" is going to be the same once they receive it and test it because they probably test their rma's on a test bench and I did notice that when my gpu when all the side panels were off my case, it ran fine it boost clocked properly and it stayed around 75 degrees C. I only tested this for about 15 to 20 minutes but I just put the panels back on because I can't stand the fan noise. Its only when I slap the case covers on it gives me overheating issues but who know it may give me overheating issues with no panels on either. Idk what to do and I really don't like the way I was spoken to over the phone it makes no sense why a company would keep telling me 89 degrees C is fine when my other card the RX 480 4gb runs at like 79 to 80 degrees at a constant 1290mhz core clock no issues and its a cheaper version an MSI RX 480 4GB Armor with the terrible cooler that everyone complains about online yet the extra 100 dollar RX 580 XXX has overheating issues. What is going on with this company? Their literally making me go out of my mind. They don't even want to cover the shipping back to their company because the guy over the phone from XFX assumes that its going to be a no fault found and he straight up told me that on the phone I can't do that for a "No fault found" I was like dang really. For real. That's how you treat your customers.

Solution
I get what you're saying. To work around it, you could download MSI afterburner and set up a custom fan curve to make the fans ramp up quicker. You also could probably do the same thing in AMD wattman.

You could also get something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Fan-Mount-Rack-PCI-Slot-Bracket-20Screw-4Connector-For-Video-GPU-Card-Cooler-BS/142567493949.

Then install a couple of case fans to push air into the card.
I get what you're saying. To work around it, you could download MSI afterburner and set up a custom fan curve to make the fans ramp up quicker. You also could probably do the same thing in AMD wattman.

You could also get something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Fan-Mount-Rack-PCI-Slot-Bracket-20Screw-4Connector-For-Video-GPU-Card-Cooler-BS/142567493949.

Then install a couple of case fans to push air into the card.

Solution

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018

Yeah thats the thing too if I max the fans out it does cool it but the noise is so horrendous. its all ready at 2000 rpm.

In that case I would try to see if you can place fans near it to move air. The bracket I showed you accepts I think 80mm fans. If you look around around eBay you should be able to find some high flow 80mm fans for relatively cheap. I think the ones I got were 35 cfm.

Basically, they should fit into that bracket, and you could try mounting the bracket a slot or so below the GPU with the fans pointing pushing air into the card. Also, what is your ventilation like? I guess my thought is you need to try to create more airflow around the card.

I used to have an RX 480 I did that fan trick with. I seem to remember it getting warm unless I did that.

Another thing to check, check if the card has a bios switch. I say this because I had an rx 590 for a couple of weeks that I ended up returning and bought a Vega 56 card instead. But I remember it had a bios switch. One more was supposed to be an OC bios and the other a silent one. So I've would ramp the fans up a bit more etc.

You might also look into something like these if your PCI slot covers aren't vented.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverstone-AEROSLOTS-BP-Maximum-Vented-PCI-Slot-Covers-Black/231491233261?epid=1500308689&hash=item35e5f3e5ed:g:7jwAAOSwPhdU73hj

If yours aren't vented and you feel like being cheap, you could just pull some of the slot covers out lol. But mainly, it sounds like if it works on their bench, and with the side off, then you need some way of creating airflow around the card.

Another option with everything, if you are having with your hands, you could remove the cards heatsink, and apply fresh thermal paste to see if that helps drop the temps.

Oops, I did remember your said you are a bit sensitive so if you go the fan route, maybe look for some with low noise. Also, I have no experience with this, but I know one suggestion on Vega 56 cards is to undervolt them. Maybe it can be done on an RX 580 also?

Edit. Doing some searching, looks like a lot of folks having issues with that card. Maybe some suggestions on here will assist also.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/948kvj/my_new_rx_580_xfx_gts_8gb_runs_kinda_hot/#ampf=undefined

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018

Thanks for the advice. Yeah that's weird Idk if my bios switch is on the wrong setting. Because they don't even label it it could be on a mining mode because that's what they added to the 500 series or on the gaming mode and I honestly would have no idea but I'll give it a try. As for the extra cooling with an extra fan I might buy it I just don't have the budget for it at the moment.

I feel where you are coming from. I usually don't spend a lot of money on a system. I do try build nice stuff, but for example, on this system, I had older parts that I sold to someone else and scored a deal on a ryzen 1700x from a friend for 75 dollars, then traded him an old gtx 1050 ti from before my GPU upgrade for 16gb of ram. And picked up the rest as I went.

Regardless, the 89 degree temp from what I'm reading and what your described is that your card is overheating and is throttling the temp down trying to protect the card.

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018

Also going to try to undervolt it too see if anything works. I really do like XFX customer support I mean they did give me an RX 580 8gb and I had a RX 480 8gb before but I just don't understand why they can't just take the dang thing instead of me having to go through all this trouble ) :

Ah, you wrote as I was typing. The 580 is essentially the same card as a 480 but overclocked. There are some threads where folks sent 480s in for servicing and they got the same card back and it had been flashed to a 580.

I looked up your case, the design on the front at least may be partly why I didn't get one. Here's the case I have. Keep in mind I only paid 50 something on eBay.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/masterbox-mb511/

But with that case, it came with one fan, but I did 3 led fans in front, 2 fans on the top pulling air out of the case, and an exhaust fan at the back. Things seem to stay nice and cool in it. I like the tempered glass look of a lot of cases, but the reason I got the case I have is that so many of the tempered glass cases seem to have bad airflow.

From what I gather the issue is not the card, well maybe but your case intake/exhaust setup may be your issue. The 580 is a warm card there is no getting around that. But what makes me say what I'm saying is that you said your 1070 was running at 75c that is fairly warm for that card. Is there any way to add more fans to your case? I'm willing to bet more cool air will help keep your 580's temps down

Looking at this again, it looks like this is the ops case

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Carbide-SPEC-04-Mid-Tower-Gaming/dp/B06XTPNCMM

What you might do, get some 120mm fans, pop off the front, it looks like you might be able to add 2 more in the front door intake under the front panel to push air into the case. Also on the top, it appears you can add 2 up top, so I think I would add 2 there blowing out the top to basically make the top vent act like a blowhole for hot air, then leave the back as exhaust by the board.

If things are still toasty, look at the pci fan bracket setup I linked earlier and mount something like that under your card forcing air up towards the card. Between all that, you should really be moving since air around the case.

Depending on the color of your case etc, something like 3 or 4 of these should do nicely without breaking the bank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120mm-DC-15-LED-Light-Cooling-Case-Fan-for-Computer-PC-Quiet-Edition-CPU-Cooler/173677451116?hash=item286ffb976c%3Am%3Amd6ju00Irvk4n64AqrilSBg&LH_BIN=1

That's how I usually get my fans. Just make sure they are coming from the USA it somewhere local to you and not a slow boat from China.

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018
So I got the temps to lower at 2500 to 3000 rpm fan curves but even at lower temps if the card isn't sitting below 80 degrees it still fluctuates in core clock. If it stays at around 75 it likes to keep its boost clock but other wise its all over the place. I might get some fans for the case but at the same time I might sell the card. But hard to convince people to buy when the card has this issue.

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018

Techpower up says that they got 73 degrees at the max for their same gpu that I have.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1070_SC/28.html

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018
So I lowered the core clock on the card and it runs a lot better. Even the temps are lower duuud why...... What should I do can I use that as an excuse to XFX that this card isn't cooling itself efficiently at its boost clock. I put it at 1310mhz and its at 80 degrees without messing with the fan curve.

Edit: Nvm its running back at 89 degrees celsuius when playing PUBG on Erangel.

Ok. Where is said fan? Just the front one? For a gaming system, 1 is not enough. Look at the link from eBay I posted earlier. I think it was about 15 for 3 of them. If you just have one in front, I would probably add 1 fan to the rear exhaust, maybe 1 on top of the case blowing upward to pull air out of the case since heat rises. The the last one add to the front to go with the original fan.

Doing that should create airflow and let your card breathe a bit. But it's no wonder they are refusing an RMA. With only 1 fan your case is a little bit of an oven.

They tested in open environment. You tested in a closed case. They don't have issues, you do.

If you take the side off of the case, you don't have the issue with the core.

Basically, if those things are true, then when you put the side panel on, the card is overheating. By adding fans, you are creating airflow in the case, which should help the temps on the card to go down, which hopefully should help the core clock not to fluctuate due to overheating.

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018
I'm going to install some case fans. I was really looking forward to selling this gpu with one of my computers but as the temps seem so high I guess I'll have to just buy one of those open air cases thermal take sells and sell it with one of those kinds of builds @_@.

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018
Ok so installed an exhaust fan and it seems like it helped drop temps by like 2 or 3 degrees so that when I set the fan curve on the gpu it helps but the fan noise is hella loud.