[SOLVED] Is your AMD GPU Core Clock suppose to fluctuate while gaming? Comany giving me hard time RMAing.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lego9071

Prominent
May 7, 2018
My RX 580 XXX 8gb DDR5 is suppose to boost clock to 1380mhz. So it does that when its under 89 degrees Celsius. But when it hits 89 degrees celsius because it slowly goes from 75 to 89 degrees within 10 minutes of play then the core clock drops once its hit 89 degrees celsius for a certain amount of time. I've replaced the thermal paste and its still doing the same thing. I'm only asking this question because XFX is giving me a hard time RMAing this card.

I just got this RX 580 XXX 8gb DDR5 as an RMA replacement and the last card I sent had the same issues overheating and they told me my last card was "no fault found". So the mean guy at XFX told me that if they find no issues with my card because he kept assuring me on the phone that 89 degrees Celsius is fine and if it was at 95 degrees Celsius we'd have an issue. I kept explaining that the boost clock wasn't maintaining its speed and fluctuating while gaming it would go from like 1290mhz to 1320mhz to 1350 to 1380mhz it wouldn't maintain its boost clock and he didn't even care. He's more concerned that 89 degrees Celsius on one of their flagship cooled cards is fine and doesn't even care to acknowledge the issue with my core clock. So what do you guys think I should do what should I tell XFX the next time I call because I don't want to send my card in and have it sent back because they tested it for like 10 minutes and found no issue because their obviously going to test it on an open air test bench. Keep in mind I've tested my GPU in 2 cases so far. And I own 3 cards a GTX 1070, RX 480 4gb, and a RX 580 and only the RX 580 gives me issues in terms of temperatures. MY GTX 1070 runs at only 75 degrees celsius. The RX 480 4gb at 80 degrees celsius at the max. And the RX 580 at 89 degrees celsius and this is all tested in the corsair carbide spec-04 case.

I want to send in the card and they approved my rma but they said that since my last card was no fault found they just automatically assume the RMA replacement they sent me the "RX 580 XXX 8gb DDR5" is going to be the same once they receive it and test it because they probably test their rma's on a test bench and I did notice that when my gpu when all the side panels were off my case, it ran fine it boost clocked properly and it stayed around 75 degrees C. I only tested this for about 15 to 20 minutes but I just put the panels back on because I can't stand the fan noise. Its only when I slap the case covers on it gives me overheating issues but who know it may give me overheating issues with no panels on either. Idk what to do and I really don't like the way I was spoken to over the phone it makes no sense why a company would keep telling me 89 degrees C is fine when my other card the RX 480 4gb runs at like 79 to 80 degrees at a constant 1290mhz core clock no issues and its a cheaper version an MSI RX 480 4GB Armor with the terrible cooler that everyone complains about online yet the extra 100 dollar RX 580 XXX has overheating issues. What is going on with this company? Their literally making me go out of my mind. They don't even want to cover the shipping back to their company because the guy over the phone from XFX assumes that its going to be a no fault found and he straight up told me that on the phone I can't do that for a "No fault found" I was like dang really. For real. That's how you treat your customers.

Solution
I get what you're saying. To work around it, you could download MSI afterburner and set up a custom fan curve to make the fans ramp up quicker. You also could probably do the same thing in AMD wattman.

You could also get something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Fan-Mount-Rack-PCI-Slot-Bracket-20Screw-4Connector-For-Video-GPU-Card-Cooler-BS/142567493949.

Then install a couple of case fans to push air into the card.