Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Download this nifty <A HREF="http://members.home.com/nanobit/files/tools/toast/Toast.zip" target="_new">Burn-In</A> application and check your Athlon's stability. It contains assembly code that will run all integer and floating-point paths in your processor very hard, getting 2.85 instructions per clock. (3.00 instructions per clock is the theoretical limit for an Athlon.) If you can run this application for a few hours without any problems, then you are probably safe. If not, it is time to lower the clock on your processor and try again. I found this application mentioned in the thread over at the Anandtech forum, to which I provided a link in the THG thread regarding locked Athlon XP processors. You can read about it <A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=b056664613a5f8e01a3e517426382d18&threadid=225576" target="_new">here</A>.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'll do that tonight. Is this just for Athlon, or does it work for any processors? I would assume the per-clock limits are different?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This is only for Athlon processors. It was designed to pump exactly the right number of instructions to match the number of ALU and FPU pipelines in this processor. It might run on other processors but it will not make efficient use of their cores, and hence not be a good burn-in test.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
What processor are you running?

-Raystonn

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mmmmm burn in....
i like...

oh... P.S.

does it work for ALL current AMD products? they all have the same number of pipelines dont they? e.g. duron, morgan, athlon, & XP

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 10/05/01 10:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Palominos will have some extra pipes for doing SSE (which, as it turns out, they do very, very well). Other than that, all the CPUs you mentioned should have the same pipes

I've got Toast running under WINE atm--been running for an hour so far. Kicks my CPU temps higher than anything else ever has, except for nice -n -20 ping -f localhost. It would be nice if someone could just put this piece of assembly on a bootsector--something where you just boot up off a floppy, switch to protected mode, and run the test without the interference of the windowing interface et al.

Speaking of that...do you have any idea where I could get the source code for this nugget, Ray?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Ask the author? This is not open source.

-Raystonn

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm...ah well. In any event, after about two and a half hours, CPU temps at 51C: <A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/sstoast.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/sstoast.jpg</A>

Analog modem users, beware--it's about 140K. Yes, some people may have problems with the Tripod hosting thing--that's just a fact of my current webhosting until I can figure out my new ISP's hosting scheme.

Definitely a nice burn-in tester, open-source or not. Thanks Ray.

Kelledin

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
What processor do you have? Do you overclock?

-Raystonn

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah... twazz just wonderin if the duron, being of a different design (i.e. not a crippled athlon) might have less...

good idea of a dos mode verson,
would be nice to see tailored verions for all processor ranges, p3/cellery, amd & p4.

currently im running at 54C, hottest ive seen it since i put in my new casefans and did my "mods".
usually sits at 50-52 running 100% cure for cancer.
for me personally it wont do much, as 100% cure for cancer whenever my pc is on does the trick ;)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
T-bird 1.333GHz, not overclocked. I value my uptimes rather too much to run parts out of spec. :wink:

Kelledin

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
They should add some option menus to it for selecting processor type, but it would be a great deal of work to support most processors. It could also use some better tweaking options to allow the setting of more priorities for those who do not run Windows 2000 and cannot set priorities at the click of a button in task manager. Hm. Nevermind the last one. Everyone can just upgrade to Windows 2000. But I would still like to see more processors supported.

-Raystonn

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol yeah
always have to keep reminding oneself that
a. the creator probably cand spend 24/7 on it
b. not everyone has win2k :)

p.s. no troubles yet with toast (1200C oc'ed to 1350) but thats to be expected. :)
new PSU is working wonders too... no change of fan pitch or voltage drops as i went from 0 to full load... god the old 300W psu has to be the crappiest/lighest/flimsyest ive seen. (4 molex & 1 fdd connector, & mobo connector only!)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ja, what's really fun to do to a system is start five Linux kernel compiles at once, with all config options set as modules--then do make dep && make clean && make -j MAKE="make -j" bzImage && make -j MAKE="make -j" modules. It's a bit of a crusher I like to use on new kernels along with LTP.

Last time I did that, it took the load up to ~338 before my process viewer got buried under a lot of context switching. Running "uptime" became a fifteen-minute affair. :wink: The really wicked evil part is that the system actually recovered and kept running!

Kelledin

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"the creator probably cand spend 24/7 on it"

Well, he should spend more time on it and then sell it. He could probably make a little bundle charging $5 a pop. I would pay $10 for it if it supported the Pentium III and Pentium 4 (separately, with different algorithms.)

"not everyone has win2k"

Well then upgrade! It is not my fault! =)

What operating system are you using?

-Raystonn

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
im using win2k of course! how else do u think i could run my PC for 4 days straight?

but i do think of the "little person" who do not/cannot use it *wink*

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oooo linux....

i had that on my home PC many moons ago...
thing is i didnt have anything i wanted to DO on it.. or knew how..

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Windows 200 is quite stable is it not? I had an uptime of a little over 9 months before I rebooted to install new detonator drivers. I use the system for intense programming and gaming and have never had a problem.

-Raystonn

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I wish I had this program before I tore down my beast to give to my wife. I castrated the thermoengine(ditched the delta and put a sunon 80mm fan on it with a 80>60mm fan adapter. This proggie kicks my (wifes)temps to 52c at stock 1.33, perfectly stable.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh yes... extreemly stable, but more tempramental with regards to games and drivers.
took me quite some time to find detonators that behaved properly (fortunately the 21.81's)
and rarely have i got a game to work perfectly first time. always need to tweak something.

small price to pay for rock solid stability though.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Hey, thanks for posting this program. I've been running it for about 4 hours, and my computer's stable at 42.7°C. Is it supposed to go down, though? When I first opened up my computer to check my Compunurse (it's inside), it said 43.2°C. How come it went down? It was only open for a second. Plus, Toast is still running.

Anyways, thanks again, Raystonn. I'll be sure to use this program in the future. If anyone can reply, I'd appreciate it. (Not too important, but still a little thing.)

~Running an 850 T-Bird~

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You are welcome. Glad to be of service. If it went down in temperature then either the burn-in helped flesh out and lower the resistance of the pathways in your CPU, you were running something else in the background in addition to burn-in, or the ambient temperature inside your room went down.

-Raystonn

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If the burn-in helped flesh out and lower the resistance of the pathways in my CPU, that's awesome! But, when you mentioned that running something else would lower it, why would it? Wouldn't it just react slower? That's all that was happening with the other programs. I'm not sure if the temp inside the room would go down, because it wasn't all the cold. I barely opened up the case for a second to check the thermistor.

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My TBird 900 ran Toast all night and maxed out at 50c. No stability problems.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
My highly overclocked Duron (600@1007mhz) can't handle the extra heat. I knew that 52 degrees was a critical temp for my Duron but I have never had a problem. I've even run Seti@home for days at a time, reaching only 50 degrees max. However, Toast drives the processor to 52 degrees in only 20 minutes and instability quickly follows (i.e. spontaneous reboot).

Can't say I was happy to learn this but it is a good thing to know. Thanks for the link.

Looks like I need better cooling (or avoid using Toast).

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.