Is Your Windows 7 Updating?

poe503

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Is Your Windows 7 Updating?

If you use automatic updating you may not know.

It has been my habit not to use automatic updating. In recent months, when manually updating, I have noticed that my Windows 7 installations were EXTREMELY slow to check for updates. The download and installation was not so swift either.

Today I updated after a month of not doing so. The updater was slow as usual checking for updates (hours) and then it informed me that there were no new updates. This seemed unlikely so I decided to cure the slows. I found a video on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoJiFK7_Uk that did the trick after reading the comments section.

First shut off the Updater through Services/Windows Update (not through the Control Panel).

Go to the Windows Update Catalog website; search for KB3135445. Select the version of this update for your type of operation system and download.

(Typical Microsoft, you kind of have to swing from the vines to get this done but it's rather easy. In my case, I was prompted to install software necessary to download updates. I did this. I think that not having this software is why I couldn't download the update using the link on the You Tube video.)

Run the downloaded KB3135445 file. In my case, it informed me that I already had the update installed.

Go back to Windows Update Catalog, search for KB3172605. Download it and install it.

Reboot and turn on the Updater through Services/Windows Update.

Manually update Window 7 using the Control Panel.

Windows 7 updating should be as in days of yore with a (relatively) quick update session.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh, yes. Windows Update found a dozen "important" updates after I did this.