[SOLVED] Is Zoom safe to install on Mac

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Safe in what sense? You're concerned some unknown, unsavory entity might join/watch/monitor your session? Nothing is really 100% safe, but as far as video conferencing Zoom is one of the best, it's HIPAA compliant, they'll sign a BAA, etc

I hear it is not

Heard from where? If you search "is zoom hackable/unsafe" I'm sure you'll find content proposing whatever it is you're looking for. That's the case with stuff like that, with the unimaginable amount of stories, opinions, etc out there, you can pretty much validate anything you want. Search "is drinking water unsafe" or "if I sleep more than 8 hours will I go blind" i'm sure you'll find some form of affirmation

USAFRet

Titan
Safe in what sense? You're concerned some unknown, unsavory entity might join/watch/monitor your session? Nothing is really 100% safe, but as far as video conferencing Zoom is one of the best, it's HIPAA compliant, they'll sign a BAA, etc
Well, there's the whole "encrypted but not really encrypted" thing, and routing calls through some other country.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Heard from where? If you search "is zoom hackable/unsafe" I'm sure you'll find content proposing whatever it is you're looking for. That's the case with stuff like that, with the unimaginable amount of stories, opinions, etc out there, you can pretty much validate anything you want. Search "is drinking water unsafe" or "if I sleep more than 8 hours will I go blind" i'm sure you'll find some form of affirmation

Safe in the sense my information or computer won't get compromised. There's been a long series of security and privacy issues being posted about Zoom from various tech news sources including malware-like behaviour on Mac

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Safe in the sense my information or computer won't get compromised. There's been a long series of security and privacy issues being posted about Zoom from various tech news sources including malware-like behaviour on Mac

Is it a work device (i.e. given to you by employer), or do you work in a BYOD (bring your own device) environment? I guess if you're using a personal device, and your personal info is what you're worried about, and you didn't sign any paperwork/agreement stating that you might need to install 3rd party software in the future for work purposes then you probably don't need to. I dunno, that's a slippery slope.

How much "information" are we talking? Can you just move it to a different device or external drive along with any saved passwords and such? I mean, even if it's TERABYTES of data, you've probably spent more time researching whether zoom is a security risk and discussing it here than it would take to relocate the data.

Or if you have an extra $200, get a chromebook, make a dummy gmail account, install zoom and use it for the meetings