IsGPU Broken? Please help/

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
hey guys and girls i have been having this issue for a while now and am looking for some help pls help. WHENEVER i play games i am not seeming to get the full fps that i used to and now my gpu usage is realllyyyy joggggy in msi afterburner. i have an r9 390 and i5 4690k and its really joggggyyy like up and down in games like Fallout 4 and GTA V. pls help i think that this started ever since i installed some drivers? maybe i dunno. Well anyways thankyou for your time and response and have a great day :)

Solution
OK you seem to have enough RAM. If you cannot resolve the issue with all of the above suggestions then you should consider doing a factory reset.

typosl1998

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
Well without detail I can not fully diagnose this problem but what I would suggest is, turning down the settings a little bit in the games you play therefore just putting just a little more load on your cpu instead of you gpu. Also have you overclocked your gpu at all?

Make sure that the GPU & CPU aren't overheating. Monitor GPU/CPU temps and also their clock speed and make sure that neither of them throttles back. Off course it may be a simple driver issue. In that case use Display Driver Uninstaller and then reinstall your current drivers. If that doesn't work reinstall an older driver version. Maybe the latest AMD drivers have a bug that affects your system.

EDIT: Also you could monitor GPU/CPU usage while you are on desktop or idle state and make sure that they aren't reaching 90%+ usage then. If this is happening then you may have caught a mining virus.

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

well i wish i could adda screenshot
but i dunno how ill hit u up with one as soon as possible thank u

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

thank u
ill try to get a screenshot

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

ive got a screenshot that should provide some new info thanks :)
Screenshot%20(6).png

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

ive got a screenshot that should provide some new info thanks :)
http://imgur.com/ryazZEH

typosl1998

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

Oh please do post it, It would be very helpful.

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

this is the screenshot thank you:)

http://imgur.com/ryazZEH

typosl1998

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
Hmmm I don't see anything out of the ordinary here I mean it is spiking an awful lot and i'm not quite sure why. It does look like the card is overclocked a bit try tuning the fan speed up a little and taking the clocks back down to default. And test it

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

i clicked the reset button on msi afterburner and it turns out that my card was actually downclocked and also this started ahpanneing after i installed some drivers about a year ago

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

this is it with the fans up and it set to normal
http://imgur.com/OGhEbb1

What anivirus software are you using? Do you have a paid version or a free one? Also do you have a good firewall? It should be a mining virus and some times antivirus software can't detect them at all. Download Malwarebytes antimalware and give it a try. If that can't detect anything you must manually check every program that currently runs at your system through task manager. It's a long and tedious process but one that you cannot avoid. Something is using your GPU and you should find out what that is. One thing you can do is write down every process that you don't know what it is and then google it.

Finally it could be a driver bug but I highly doubt it. Uninstall your current drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and then download and install the latest AMD drivers. Finally if you can't find who's responsible for your issues and you can't find another solution, I'm afraid that you have to format your PC and reinstall windows. Good luck.

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

I am using the standard free windows defender anti virus and also could i have gotten a mining virus from Bitcoin MIning? because i was doing thast about a year ago and dowlnaoded some applications and stuff for it
thank you so much for the help.
this is what it looks like in GTA Vhttp://imgur.com/rIwT78V

I'm afraid windows defender is not enough. You need a better antivirus and a good firewall. Download malwarebytes antimalware and scan your system. It's free and it's a lot better than windows defender. Another good free antivirus/firewall suite is this http://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-antivirus/. It provides a lot better protection than what you currently have. Use both of these programs to scan your system. Unfortunately even the best antivirus programs out there cannot detect some mining viruses. So if they don't find anything you have to manually find the software that's causing this.

The fact that you have previously used some mining software means that it's likely one of these responsible. Uninstall every software that you don't need from your system and especially software that you don't know what it is but first google it just in case. If nothing works you have to format your OS drive and reinstall windows.

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

i have already deleted all mingin software and or unsintalled it. however is reformatting my os the same thing as a factory reset?
i am currently doing the zone alarm virus scan

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

also as you mentioned in a post earlier when i am in idle state gpu usage is at idle

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

I just finshed the zone alarm scan and it detected one of the mining apps was the virus and i treated the problem but i am going to test the game and gpu and i will report back to u with results
thank you
these are the results and they are looking a lil bit worse when i ran the benchmark
http://imgur.com/TMnO13Q

The GPU usage chart seems a little better now but what's your experience during gaming sessions now?

Factory reset and reinstallation of windows is the same thing but formatting the OS drive and then reinstalling the windows is different. You usually do the latter in cases you have caught a nasty virus that you can't get rid of, and the only choice is to format the drive, thus deleting everything on it. After the formatting process and because the OS drive is now empty, in order to proceed with the windows installation you need either a USB flash drive or a DVD with a windows on them. In your case, if I can't get rid of the virus then I would first do a factory reset choosing the option that deletes everything. If that fails and if you don't already have a windows media (DVD/Usb Flash Drive), you need to create one first and then format the drive and reinstall windows on it.

RLGUY123

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

i just resintalled the drivers and theese are the results they are looking a lot more stable but still not at 100%
GTA Vhttp://imgur.com/uJqzTti