ISO image to USB flash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdNetman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
unetbootin-eeeubuntu-windows-276.exe is a custom version of unetbootin-windows. The current version at the link I gave is 3.56, interface has been updated, and many bugs have been fixed, and is not a custom ported version.

Give it a shot and see if that fixes the issue for you, also there are archived version on the web page, you may want to try an older version of the non (eeebuntu) custom version.

tribbettr

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Forgive my ignorance. I too receive the Default option on the menu and get a kernal error. I am trying to load a WinPE ISO to a flash drive. I have tried the xcopy route and am getting boot errors on some PCs so thought I would try a different boot loader. I used the 3.56 version of unetbootin and specified the ISO image, but not luck. I am sure I am missing something simple, but do not know what it is. Thank you all for sharing.

Ron

G

Hai,

So you want to take an ISO and put it onto a flashdrive and boot from it?

Done this. Only works on some flashdrives though but takes seconds to test :)

When it works you get 2 visible USB devices reported, a CDROM and a removable disk. You can even boot from the USB CDROM part as well which is why it works great for LiveCDs and stuff :)

ok ok, the how to bit;

Grab yourself a copy of 'LPinstaller.exe' from the U3 website (This tool needs to 'see' your flashdrive, that is the test, no see no work).
Extract the content of the exe to a folder (I know, sounds odd but 7Zip works good)
Make a file in that folder called 'QA.INI' and add following lines
[QA]
LocalISOPath=C:\YourISO.iso
Run the main exe but you need to add 'local' as an option (i.e. "LPinstaller.exe local")

Once it is finished you should have your CD loaded onto your stick. Might be other ways but this is eeeeasy!

aboy0110

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
This method is great... however I still have a query where I want to install Windows server 2003 R2 to do some testing. But the problem is Windows Server 2003 comes with 2 CD's which means I have 2 ISO's. How do I merge both and create one single ISO and then copy it to USB...

Suggestions highly appreciated...

Reathe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hai,

2 Install disks? tricky...

Suggestions...

1. See if you have an install DVD handy rather than the CDs (I remember having both in an OEM box before only seeing the DVD after using the CDs as it was the bottom of the pile)

2. I think just adding the contents of CD2 into the ISO image of CD1 should work ok, not sure if it would have a problem with the size of the data (Though if putting it on a flashdrive you are not limited by the physical CD medium so it might work ok) Lots of ISO editing programs around, just make sure you keep the bootable part. (I think somebody already suggested that along with "unetbootin" - this might also work just as well.)

3. If 2 does not work you might need to try and master your own bootable DVD using all the files from CD1 and CD2, the bootable part is tricky but if you google for "slipstreaming service packs" most of the top links will lead to explanations on how to copy the bootable part of an install disk...assuming the CD and dvd boot parts work the same...[scratches head]

Or, you could look further up this

G

theres something called gnome partition editor, i cant remember where i found it, but it lets you change partitions(duh) and change whether its bootable (in the "flags" section)

ujcivil99

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

i have used your prcedure but it is giving an error

please change the disk
press any key to restart

hafizi01

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Copied from my thread since no one have the answer, so i just proceed here then.
Hello all. I have read the "ISO image to USB flash" thread and tried to do the "xcopy" to copy my windows image to a USB flash. Unfortunately, i have failed coz it said not enough space. However it's a formatted 2GB flash drive, and should be enough since the ISO is only 707MB. But i've found that it's also impossible to burn it into a DVD using nero, still, the size is to blame. The only way to burn it into a DVD is by using MagicISO, which compressed the folder in extreme ratio to a 707MB size. Hence, it would be extremely big if i just extract the iso.
The size of ISO:
Size.jpg

The size inside the ISO:
ActualSize.jpg

For a record, it's Wesmosis Windows XP SP2.5 The Final.
Ive also ried to use MagicISO instead but it's no use since MagicISO can only burn it into CD/DVD, not a USB Flash Drive. Any idea? Thanks in advanced.
Any suggestion guys?

SpecOps

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I have downloaded "unetbootin-eeeubuntu-windows-276.exe". Mount the windows Xp 64.iso into 2G USB thumb. Bios changed. After USB boot, only the menu of Unetbootini, with "defaults". Still can't boot wiyh USB? Pls. help

I stumbled on here looking for a solution for to turn my bootable Ghost 11.5 ISO file into a bootable USB drive. I tried UNetbootin with the ISO file with the same results of seeing only the default screen. I then tried it again but using the IMG file I used for the boot image of the ISO. The previous files copied from the ISO were still on the USB drive so everything worked when I tested it. Is there a better method than this or is this the process?

inverse137

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
'

Perfect. Thanks!

G

Can you elaborate on what you mean by using the IMG file you used for the boot image of the ISO? I am not entirely sure what IMG file you are referring to. Is this a Ghost specific thing? I used a free utility to create my XP ISO from the disk, and installed the image on my USB using unetbootin. I get only the default unetbootin menu with no OS on the list to install.

djczer

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

You could do it with the Disk Utility program in OSX. Just restore the image to the partition on the USB drive. The restore option tab is to the right of the list of drives.

SpecOps

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Can you elaborate on what you mean by using the IMG file you used for the boot image of the ISO? I am not entirely sure what IMG file you are referring to. Is this a Ghost specific thing? I used a free utility to create my XP ISO from the disk, and installed the image on my USB using unetbootin. I get only the default unetbootin menu with no OS on the list to install.

My bootable ISO uses an image of a DOS disk to boot from. When I used UNetbootin with the "ISO" option and referenced the ISO file, I only saw the default screen. When I used UNetbootin with the "floppy" option and referenced the DOS IMG file, it worked.

Alex Bukstein

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
3 ½ floppy drive to USB flash drive reader upgrade
Eliminate your need for 3 ½ floppies and 3 ½ disk drives!!!

Our 3 ½ floppy disk drive to USB flash drive reader converter will seamlessly replace your existing floppy drive with an independently operated USB flash drive reader. No additional changes to your system are needed besides removing the existing drive and replacing it with this drive. “Plug and Play”. Easy installation and no drivers required, no system configurations needed and no debugging required. If you can replace a floppy disk drive, you can install this device. The device connects to your existing power and data (ribbon) cables.

The soundless drive emulates your existing floppy drive to act as if the floppy drive was never removed. This drive will replace most any existing 720k/1.44MB capacity IBM format floppy drive or your money back. Do away with the painfully slow and obsolete floppy disks. Not only will this device work in PCs but, it will also work in machinery or devices that still use floppy drives. This device completely replaces the universal floppy drive of computerized system. If you are not certain this device will work in your equipment, then just ask! 1 Year Warranty. This device also emulates NON IBM type drives (TEAC, etc) and can also be setup as a DRIVE 0, DRIVE 1 configuration

Will work successfully on · CNC Machines · Embroidery Machines · Keyboards · Knitting Machines · Diagnostics Machines · Cutters · Routers · Plasma Cutters · X-Ray Machines · Robotics · Mills · And most any device with a Floppy Disk Drive!!!

write to : bukste87@gmail.com

G

Hi All,

Try UFDUtility tool.(may not support all USB sticks.) This is the exact software you need for a bootable USB. Just make an iso file and click the boot manager, click the browse button and find the folder where you have saved the ISO file. Then just click "Burn" .

The software will build a virtual cd driver in your usb and will make it bootable.

just change your bios settings to boot fom USB and enjoy. Some motherboards may not recognise the second partition and will not boot. I'm not sure how to solve this.

P.S. Before using the UFD Utility, you will have to format your usb with the " HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool "to make it bootable.

You can also burn a bootable XP PE on your USB with this software. For details of bootable mini Operating Systems check www.winbuilder.net

Just use google for the mentioned softwares.

G

sry for me English. is the most easy way I saw. I have 1 problem in haw i access the cd in dos mode. I can install xp, any type of live windows but I can’t see dos mode. Any suggestion?

topcold

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

This is useless since it just copies some files, and not the bootloaders.

G

Where I can download the UFDUtility? Thanks.

Hi All,

Try UFDUtility tool.(may not support all USB sticks.) This is the exact software you need for a bootable USB. Just make an iso file and click the boot manager, click the browse button and find the folder where you have saved the ISO file. Then just click "Burn" .

The software will build a virtual cd driver in your usb and will make it bootable.

just change your bios settings to boot fom USB and enjoy. Some motherboards may not recognise the second partition and will not boot. I'm not sure how to solve this.

P.S. Before using the UFD Utility, you will have to format your usb with the " HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool "to make it bootable.

You can also burn a bootable XP PE on your USB with this software. For details of bootable mini Operating Systems check www.winbuilder.net

Just use google for the mentioned softwares.

Nascar Dog

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Make sure you format the flash drive as NTFS (Not FAT32)
I had the same problem because my USB stick was formatted FAT32.
Reformatted it as NTFS, ran unetbootin (276 or 377) and it booted fine.

na8pope

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Hey I was just wondering if I could use a portable hd instead of a flash drive. I tried formatting it with fat32 but it says the volume is too large. almost done formatting simple disk and I don't know if I would use xcopy in command prompt to copy the dvd or if I should just extract the iso with power iso or similar onto the freshly formatted drive. I'm going to try the first idea first then the latter. I'll let you know how it goes.

jimcho

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

Thanks for this. It worked great. BootMyISO is a great idea and is the best solution that I have found. Just drag and drop the ISO onto your USB stick, updated the grub menu with notepad++ to add to the boot menu, and you can boot multiple ISOs from one stick. Was able to flash my Intel SSD with this tool on my netbook without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.