ISO image to USB flash

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerfuffle

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
The BootMyISO seems to work for the most part. I can boot just about any ISO on a thumb drive. I did find that it doesn't work on a HP DL380 server, where I'd really like to use it. Does anyone know how to tweak it to work with such hardware?

a-r-s-e-n

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I have downloaded "unetbootin-eeeubuntu-windows-276.exe". Mount the windows Xp 64.iso into 2G USB thumb. Bios changed. After USB boot, only the menu of Unetbootini, with "defaults". Still can't boot wiyh USB? Pls. help
It is likely that unetbootin works with Linux-distributives only

Raj1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Could you please explain how you did this?I am also trying to flash my Intel SSD in my Samsung NC10 netbook.I downloaded and installed 'MultiBoot USB ISO v0.6' into a 2GB Sandisk Cruzer Mini attached to the net book.I copied the Intel SSD firmware ISO to the flash drive and opened the menu.lst using Notepad++. I added the following at the end of the menu.lst:

# title 110902HD88208850
# find --set-root /110902HD88208850.iso
# map /110902HD88208850.iso (hd32)
# map --hook
# root (hd32)
# chainloader (hd32)

I selected my comments and tried to "Uncomment' from the edit menu but I did not see any change.I saved the edited menu.lst,shut down the netbook and tried to boot from the USB after changing the BIOS boot priority to USB. A GRUB4DOS 0.4.4. menu was displayed with all the programs included in the 'MultiBoot USB ISO' listed there but my Intel firmware ISO was not listed among them.Therefore,I could n't proceed further.

Why did n't the GRUB menu get updated with my firmware ISO when I edited the menu.lst using Notepad++?While I understand the procedure reasonably well,I am certainly not an expert in using Linux or MSDOS.Since you have successfully flashed your SSD,could you please post the steps here?I don't want to buy an external CDROM drive for the sake of flashing the SSD.Any help will be much appreciated.

Raj

Musical28

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hello oeyvindt....thank you for your suggestion about unetbootin...I was looking hard for a utility like that....

Take care, -Albert-

G

Multiboot USB Flash Animator

ISO files on the USB in /Boot folder
you can edit the menu.1st file to load any iso to the USB

The Iso Programs were in Russian/English

Programs are in Russian ... I replaced with English Equivalents.

I also got my laptop to boot to USB even though the bios
are not supported...

USED PLOP it adds a line to the Boot.ini Windows Boot Menu
Files are on C:\PLOP
and I had to run menu empty once then press excape

put USB Flash Drive (UFD) then and press USB from the Menu again
and press enter key after that... But its loads the Menu from the USB
and I also have Acronis.iso running from the USB as an example

you can take and easy boot .bif or .bin files and load them into
Ultraiso and make an iso file to run dos appz like Partition Magic
or Admin Password Recovery... but I have not figured out
the path of the registry USB thinks it is C:\

G

Hi,

I have created a bootable USB Disk with the help of UltraIso.

Now when I try to access the usb drive, it gives the following error:

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Is this correct?

regards,
mandakini

newbie3535

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
HELP PLZ!

I used the boot and ISO from USB and it boots in my computer, and i can see the two options but i can not see my iso. (windows XP)

I removed the (#) I changed the isoname to mine i left the ".iso" and also removed it but nothing seems to work i can not see it.

What am i doing wrong??

Thank you for your help everyone.

G

Hey, I tried unetbootin and it does everything you need (even download linux distributions for you) try it here: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

G

Yes this would work but what if you have the single ISO file with no boot files or anything. Do you then have to download bootmgr or something?

iceman_uzzy

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
i see everyone has different opinions about this subject. i made my 2gb usb stick bootable (since i have a msi wind u100 netbook)whith the program called "winsetupfromusb".and it works every time.all you need is a iso image and the winsetupfromusb;and your netbook must boot from the usb(see this option in the bios).here is the link:
http://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/winsetupfromusb-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive/

G

April 24, 2010

The latest version of unetbootin is: unetbootin-windows-433.exe. Files are still downloadable at sourceforge.net

Thank you for your help!!!

andrewkevin1

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Hi all, Thanks for the help. It really helped to solve the solution, and i shall post this information in my blog which would really be helpful to other, i hope for the best. Carry on your good work!

Thanks and regards
Portable hard drives

azadfaleel

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
hi there, there is another way to solve this problem. just download the wintoflash software and select the drive where you have your setup files and select the drive letter of your flash drive and wolla!! . there you have your bootable flash drive, then set your flash drive to the first on your boot device select menu and then restart and install!!!

i hope this helped you guys!!!!

download the wintoflash software here:-
http://wintoflash.com/download/en/
:pt1cable: :pt1cable:

michael18284

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
This is a how-to-guide on how to install windows 7 from a DVD onto a jump drive for installations. Nowhere in the steps does it tell you to do anything "win7" related, besides it being the iso for the guide. So you should be able to follow the same steps.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

vumad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Having read this thread and many others on the same subject I have found a quick and simple way to make bootable USB sticks - it's almost effortless providing you have access to a PC running Windows.

You need two utilities, the first is the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. The latest version of this utility is v2.1.8 - I downloaded a copy from here. If you know that your USB pen drive is bootable then you don't need this utility. [Note: Two out of the three USB sticks I tried failed to boot before I used this tool - now all three boot just fine.] If your PC fails to boot from your USB stick even when the BIOS is set to boot from 'USB-Zip' then format the stick as FAT / FAT32 using this HP utility.

The second utility you need is UltraISO - the trial version of UltraISO can be downloaded from here. Simply open your bootable ISO image file in UltraISO and then from the menu select Bootable -> Write Disk Image... Make sure that your USB pen drive is selected as the 'Disk Drive:' and that the 'Write Method:' is set to USB-ZIP. Then just click on Write and in a few seconds you will have a bootable USB pen drive.

Voila - it really is that simple!

Enjoy.

G

fairlane32 your'e my hero

i got laptop without cd drive and couldn't do that without your help thanks!! :hello:

vumad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
H,mmm it seems that my initial bout of success was short lived and the above method only seems to work with sub 1.4MB iso images :(

... back to the drawing board!

G

Follow these steps:

1>>open iso image using winrar...as it is a zip file.

2>>extract all the subfiles in a folder.

3>>transfer the folder to pendrive with the help of "wintoflash" software. It will make your pendrive bootable.

yooohaaa ;) now u r ready to boot with your pendrive.

ajy0903

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
How about this method?
1. I used HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to format the USB Flash Drive.
2. Use Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool from Microsoft and follow directions.
3. Boot with USB Flash Drive
Its working for me, I'm currently booting my Windows Home Server using USB Flash Drive using this method

G

I tried to create a bootable and installer flash memory from the XP-CD but when i typed the :
xcopy D:\*.* E: /s/e/f
first asked about overwrite which i selected yes then start to copy first file as Autorun.inf -> Autorun.inf
the message came that Acsses is denied!!
Can you explain how to solve the problem?

tech55

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

This process worked great with Windows 7 Pro. Forget the clunky disks. Now have USB key bootable with Win7 install files. Thanks

nessmarie21

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
The simpler way to install XP from USB is FlashBoot utility.
It automates everything.
http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/

Status
Not open for further replies.