[SOLVED] ISO open source backup app

pengyou

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I am looking for an open source back-up program that will let me create a desktop icon for each kind of backup that I do. One back-up is to copy everything from certain folders on my hard drive to a thumb drive, so that I can take it to class. The second back-up is to backup all of my files (data, media, certain apps, etc (but not the OS, installed apps, etc) to an external hard drive. The third back up is to copy all of my data files to a cloud-type server. I don't want to have to keep opening the program and making the changes. I want 3 icons on the desktop that will do the trick for me, once they are set up. What will do this?

Solution
cloud sync of any additions/changes to a particular folder associated with the particular service is done almost automatically anyways...(At least that's what occurs with DropBox, One Drive, Box, P-Cloud, Google Drive/Backup and Sync, etc.) No special icon is really required for this to occur, other than desktop shortcuts of the cloud folders in question.

Windows backup built into Win10 will allow you to specify what all folders you wish backed up and to where, and, on your specified time increments if you so create. (Once set up every one hour, two hours, daily, whatever, no more interaction is required, but, it seems to require one of your local drives to store to, and did not present any of my viable cloud storage as a backup...
cloud sync of any additions/changes to a particular folder associated with the particular service is done almost automatically anyways...(At least that's what occurs with DropBox, One Drive, Box, P-Cloud, Google Drive/Backup and Sync, etc.) No special icon is really required for this to occur, other than desktop shortcuts of the cloud folders in question.

Windows backup built into Win10 will allow you to specify what all folders you wish backed up and to where, and, on your specified time increments if you so create. (Once set up every one hour, two hours, daily, whatever, no more interaction is required, but, it seems to require one of your local drives to store to, and did not present any of my viable cloud storage as a backup destination that I noticed. No icon required for this to occur once set up once.) You can create a backup of select folders to a flash drive, but, this will not be a single 'click here' affair to do, and, might require 2/3 clicks...

The paid version of Macrium could go a lot farther, free option does not allow file/folder specified backups...(it is also not 'open source', obviously)

The free version of P-Cloud's 'Sync' options offers to let you sync whichever folders (in addition to default P-Cloud folder)you specify. (Naturally, free cloud storage accounts have limited amounts of space as freebies, but, even 10 GB goes a long way for docs and carefully chosen select files/photos/docs...) As this is a cloud storage application, I doubt it meets your specs of 'open source' for that.... (Again, once set, sync is automated)

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Macrium Reflect will create batch files for you, based on multiple backup profiles.
Put on the desktop, click as needed.

vGYmltJ.png

Reactions: pengyou