• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly sheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Isolated BSOD to either RAM or MOBO - Need help to finalize solution

Sep 29, 2018
I have been troubleshooting BSODs for a while now. A quick history.

I have a 3 year old computer. About a 6 months ago i started getting BSODs. At first they were very rare and over the course of a couple of months they got significantly worse until they were daily. After lots of troubleshooting steps, reseating the RAM appeared to solve the problem.

A few months later I got a BSOD. Similarly they appeared to become more frequent over time. I have 2 4GB RAM cards. I ran multiple memory tests to see if the RAM cards were bad, but everything passed. I tried reseating the RAM and once again the BSODs went away.

I again went about 3 weeks without a BSOD. After the first one they again got progressively worse this time to the point where the computer was completely unable to boot until i reseated the RAM cards.

Why do I need to keep reseating the RAM cards? Is there a way to permanently fix this issue? Is this more indicative of a BAD RAM card or potentially a bad mother board connector? Any ideas on what I should do next?

Well if reseating the ram seems to fix it it could indicate an issue with the physical connection between the ram and the board-any dust/dirt in the dimm slot? when you seat the ram is it "secure" or does it a tad slack?

Sep 29, 2018

Not sure how secure it should feel. There is a little bit of give on the side without the clip.

If you have a question about memory, I suggest you post the part number(s) or link to it. If it came with a retail PC or you purchased the parts separately, you should mention that.

Instead of "3 year old computer", I suggest you list the model number.

Run MemTest86 to test for defective memory.
https://www.memtest86.com/