Isolating Computer on Home Network.

zodell2000

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
I'm currently attempting to host a game server in which I'll need to forward a port. Given that forwarding ports will put my computer and the computers on the network at a greater risk of an online attack, I was wondering if there was a way to isolate my computer from my home network. I currently use one NetGear router. Basically, if I was ever hacked or a virus was somehow placed onto my computer, I'd like to know that the rest of my network was somewhat safe because my computer was in its own isolated network. Truthfully, I know only basic networking, which is why I'm here. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

*Note: This is my home computer. I'd like to be able to keep the functionality and security of my system, just split into an isolated 'box' within my network.

Solution

No, the problem is you're sharing the game server and your daily PC.
The game server really, really needs to be a discreet box.

Then you can wall it off, either a VLAN or DMZ or whatever.

The game server will be exposed to the outside world...whoever connects to play. If this is also your daily PC, ALL of that data on that system is at risk.

zodell2000

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

I went a little deeper into my router settings and found a 'default dmz server' option. I read online that dmz's can be a large security risk. Is this true?

USAFRet

Titan

A risk, for that system only.
It is walled off from the rest of the network and systems, but more open to the outside world.

zodell2000

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Ok. Setting up the DMZ on the router requires an IP address to be entered. Do I use the IP address of my computer?

Also, if I have a hardware firewall, in this case the firewall that comes with OS X computers, will that protect my computer more than having it disabled? If not, what are some ways I can protect my computer from outside attackers if the DMZ is set up?

USAFRet

Titan

That would be a 'static' IP address, outside the routers DHCP range. This is for that one single game server system.
Maybe something like 192.168.1.200.

Read the user manual, in depth, on this DMZ function. Don't just go by what is onscreen.

For instance, this is the DMZ functionality on my router:
nZYGia1.png

Yours might be slightly different.

Firewall? That is part of the router function, not your OSX systems.

zodell2000

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

I've read something about a VLAN network that separates devices in a network. Would this work for what I'm trying to do?

USAFRet

Titan

No, the problem is you're sharing the game server and your daily PC.
The game server really, really needs to be a discreet box.

Then you can wall it off, either a VLAN or DMZ or whatever.

The game server will be exposed to the outside world...whoever connects to play. If this is also your daily PC, ALL of that data on that system is at risk.

Solution