Isolating the cause of my system malfunction

Jun 23, 2018
Hello,

I got home from work on Friday to find my gaming rig wouldn't boot up. This thing is my favourite thing in the world so naturally I have spent all day trying to get it back up and running, I have it online now, but I know this is not going to last long so I am trying to isolate which part is causing the problem.

I had this problem a few weeks back, and just reseating everything seemed to fix it then, but its back again now - possibly caused by slight movements of the case.

My PC (Asus Z87-A, i5 4670K, Nvidia 1070, 16GB Ram (4x4gb), Corsair 750X PSU)
The issue: I switch the PC on and the fans run but there is no disk activity, bios boot screen, power to peripherals or monitor output (I have three plugged which I know are working).

*Edit: this is not a new build, it has been a stable rig for 4-5 years with only the GFX changing over a year ago*

I have been through the long checklist on this site and others, with my Mobo on a box with just the CPU, PSU and internal speaker plugged in it continues to exhibit the same behaviour. However I can occasionally move it and it does hit the bios and boot normally, then I try again later and it doesn't and no kind of movement specifically helps. When it doesn't boot the internal speaker doesn't say anything at all.

When it does boot properly the internal speaker asks me to pop in RAM and a keyboard which I do and then I can continue into the BIOS where the CPU temps are normal (40c).

I am trying to figure out if my MOBO is broken, or my CPU as I have eliminated all other components, it sounds like a short to me, but when its on the box there's surely nothing to short it?.

Do you have any ideas for what I can do next as I cannot afford to fork out another 800 quid for a new CPU, MOBO and DDR4 :(

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If when you had it in bread-board testing fashion (iGPU only - no gfx card, no drives), you had the same issues, I would have to consider the motherboard to be the problem. The CPU is possible, but less likely. I've found numerous board problems over the years, but never a faulty CPU. (except for one which I caused)