[SOLVED] isopropol alcohol

im having a hard time finding 99% isopropol alcohol to clean cpu and cooler. anyone know places where i can buy
As noted...Ispropyl is hard to get in any dilution.

You can also use ethyl alcohol. A fairly cheap, and clean, source of that is found at the liquor store: called Everclear.

You can also find a denatured version of it in the paint store: a paint thinner called 'methylated spirits' or, simply, denatured alcohol. Do be mindful of what they used for the denaturing agent though, if uncertain just don't use it. Everclear is probably the better choice.

Last edited:
question if its a brand new cpu and a brand new cpu cooler do i need to clean both before applying thermal paste?

Oils from fingers can interfere with thermal transfer. The amount is small, but there. Iso Alcohol will dissolve the oils.

99% has to be used carefully. It can make some plastics brittle or soft. It will easily remove most paints. It's highly flammable and while not near as dangerous as peroxide, it contains a flammable OH group. Use in a well vented area away from flames.

70% ISO is available easily enough. You just need to look for it. That will work fine. I wipe with an ordinary cloth. You can use a paper towel for the initial cleaning to remove old stock. It may leave some pulp fibers behind. But use a cloth or q-tip to do the rest of the cleaning.

I do a press fit partial screw down and remove. I then look at paste coverage to see how well it covers. Some AIO's have awful plate uniformity. Some are even warped.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020
2 bucks more expensive but a better product.
actually inorder for me to get the arctic silver its $4 more expensive for the product plus i gotta pay 20$ in shipping for the arctic silver which i didnt have to pay for the wipes. not to mention then i gotta buy coffee filters which i dont keep as i have a keurig. btw i live in canada

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
actually inorder for me to get the arctic silver its $4 more expensive for the product plus i gotta pay 20$ in shipping for the arctic silver which i didnt have to pay for the wipes. not to mention then i gotta buy coffee filters which i dont keep as i have a keurig. btw i live in canada

FWIW, if you have WholeSaleClub (Superstore's 'bulk' place), that's where I buy my 99% as needed.
Was a few weeks ago, and I'm in AB, but they always appear to have it - Somehow kept in stock throughout the pandemic..... at least out here anyway.

Jul 12, 2020
FWIW, if you have WholeSaleClub (Superstore's 'bulk' place), that's where I buy my 99% as needed.
Was a few weeks ago, and I'm in AB, but they always appear to have it - Somehow kept in stock throughout the pandemic..... at least out here anyway.
i will check it out if i need it again. but i have 20 wipes so it wont be for awhile. considering i dont change thermal paste for 2-3 years

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
i will check it out if i need it again. but i have 20 wipes so it wont be for awhile. considering i dont change thermal paste for 2-3 years

Never hurts to have on hand - great as a disinfectant, cleaning solution, removing stuff like marker stains or sticker residue (may need to be diluted, depending on the task). But if you're covered with the wipes, perfect!

As an FYI on the wipes for future reference (or if you haven't got them yet), if you were also buying paste, you could've picked up 3.5g or 10g of Noctua NT-H2 & gotten 3 or 10 wipes included.

Jul 12, 2020
Never hurts to have on hand - great as a disinfectant, cleaning solution, removing stuff like marker stains or sticker residue (may need to be diluted, depending on the task). But if you're covered with the wipes, perfect!

As an FYI on the wipes for future reference (or if you haven't got them yet), if you were also buying paste, you could've picked up 3.5g or 10g of Noctua NT-H2 & gotten 3 or 10 wipes included.
yea i dont use it as a daily cleaner it would only be used for the pc.
i bought a new noctua nh-d15 chromax black and that comes with some thermal paste so i didnt need to buy any of that at least i dont think so

Jul 12, 2020
The NH-D15 comes with NT-H1, I believe - Good quality stuff and probably enough for 6-10 applications on 115x size, going from memory.
it does come with NT-H1 which im told is really good stuff and has great reviews im glad noctua includes it. idk how much is in it but shelf life is only probably 1-2 years after it has been opened anyways so ill probably end up throwing it away once im done with it. keep it until shelf life is over just incase i need to reset the cooler