Isotopically pure silicon

G

There has been a lot of talk about isotopically pure silicon going into the Palomino. First, for anyone interested in a little education on why semiconductor companies might want to use it:

http://www.isonics.com/silicon.htm

Overall, the article is very informative. Some of their claims are outlandish (like isotopically pure silicon is going to help make a more stable Gate Oxide... That assumes the starting Silicon substrate/epi-layer is the source of Gate Oxide impurities/defects.. probably not true), however most seem reasonable.

I know people have excitedly kicked around a 60% increase in thermal conductivity. One, this doesn't directly translate into a 60% cooler processor (as touched on briefly in the article). Two, the hotter the silicon, the smaller the effects of isotopically pure silicon. As they mention at typical processor temperatures they see a 40% change in thermal conductivity from typical Silicon wafers. They don't mention several other important items. The largest of which is where do we currently remove heat from the processor? From the top of the processor, not just the substrate. So the heat still has to travel up through all of the different materials in the processor and through several interfaces. All of these things will dampen the effect of this new Silicon type. If I had to guess I might say a 10-20% increase in the overall thermal conductivity of the processor.

Without a doubt, this is a nice improvement. Something you overclockers might want to consider is the temperature/thermal conductivity trend. I imagine it holds true as you decrease the temperature too. The colder the Silicon, the better the isotopically pure wafer conducts heat (as compared to the normal Si wafer). So, the more you cool the processor, the better it conducts heat, the cooler it runs, etc. If their claims are true, you should be able to cool your processors to lower temperatures on isotopically pure silicon. This assumes you refrigerant and compressor aren't limiting factors. Temperature isn't controlled JUST by how you can conduct heat. The chiller has to be able to pull all of that heat away. Even if it can't, you may notice a degree or two difference.

Hell, call me a dork, but it would be fun to find out.

Finally, here is the article that announces the delay in their delivery along with a bunch of excuses for why they couldn't make the deadline:

http://www.isonics.com/pr67.htm

Enjoy

mpjesse

Splendid
Supposedly- according to "The Register", AMD's 133mhz bus Athlon (can't remember codename) runs sooooo cool with pure silicon that it doesn't need a fan at 1.7Ghz- just a heatsink. THAT'S impressive. It'll be the first time since the early pentium's/P5's since a processor has not required a fan.

-MP Jesse

G

Somehow I doubt the processor will ship without a heat sink and fan. I also don't think their 1.7GHz is capable of running that cool. Like I said, the silicon transfers the heat through the processor faster, but something still has to pull it away. Besides, it is a moot point because they aren't getting production quantities from the company for 2 or 3 months at least.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I also don't think their 1.7GHz is capable of running that cool. Like I said, the silicon transfers the heat through the processor faster, but something still has to pull it away.
I'm not trying to start a flame or anything, but how can you say that when they've already <i>had</i> a 1.7GHz Palomino run without a fan? They've showed it off already.

You know what... I don't believe that flight is possible. Boeing 747's can't really fly, people just think they can. I don't think it's possible....

Again, I'm not trying to start flames. Just trying to make a point.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also, no offense here, but if the point is so moot, why did you post a whole topic on it?
Like was said, it's already been done for all the world to see. Now they just get to work on perfecting and expanding the technique while building up the facilities to produce it.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

You're quite correct. People (who don't work in AMD!) have seen this thing, with the case off, running (for more than 10 seconds). And anyway, the Airbus A380 will be bigger than the Boeing, so 1-0 to Europe :)

G

jg38141: I said the point was moot because it probably won't be shipped with the Palomino if the company has delayed shipment of production quantities.

In response to AMD investing in this technology, they are not stock holders in ISONICS. This technology is available to any chip company. AMD is shooting for it because their chips burn so damn hot compared to everyone elses.

In response to seeing it running (for more than 10 seconds) I would have to say what was it doing? How intensive were those calculations, etc., etc. Not that I think AMD is trying to pull the wool over our eyes, but just like any company they want to make themselves look good. If that means running Microsoft Word or doing 3D graphics with the video card instead of serious number crunching with the fpu unit on the processor then that doesn't tell us squat. Anyone have hard facts on what the demo ran? Send me a link.

Finally, no flame intended of course, you guys SUCK ASS!

Oh, hehe, just kidding... no offense here, I don't want to start a flame fest or anything.... LOL

Seriously, you guys were a little rough... I am feeling abused here (sob, sniffle). Being the only non-AMD fan (I like to think I am pretty neutral) around here could get a guy killed!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I love AMD, Intel is OK, I own stock in both companies, I own processors from both companies. I am just going with AMD right now.

AMD is shooting for it because their chips burn so damn hot compared to everyone elses.
Have you ever tried an AMD chip? Most of these "HEAT" issues are rumors. Yes, they do run hotter, but not much hotter. For crying out loud, my 750 overclocked to 1050 is running so cool i can touch the heatsink and it feels barely luke-warm. (Can't get a good temperature reading, all probes I've tried give me a different reading, though all are around 28c

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a x86 CPU on market that officially didn't need a fan - the Cyrix 3 . (It is has really nothing to do with cyrix ,just a name) . It is not wery fast CPU ,and not 1.7 GHZ, but half of that, but the technology is moving forvard, and advertisment moving in double speed.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
-----------
In response to seeing it running (for more than 10 seconds) I would have to say what was it doing? How intensive were those calculations, etc., etc. Not that I think AMD is trying to pull the wool over our eyes, but just like any company they want to make themselves look good. If that means running Microsoft Word or doing 3D graphics with the video card instead of serious number crunching with the fpu unit on the processor then that doesn't tell us squat. Anyone have hard facts on what the demo ran? Send me a link.
-----------
I think Intel is the only one that does this sort of thing (pIII demo'd at 1.4GHz?)

TRENDING THREADS