ISP = 1gb Is my AC68U capable of 1gb on WIFI?

bupp4

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Hey!

As the title says is it possible?
My ISP speed is 1gigabit. Now if I use my Asus AC68U's 5GHz channel is it capable of reaching the ISP's limit?

I'll buy ASUS USB-AC56 wifi stick for my PC since there's no built-in WIFI on motherboard.

PC specs:
ASUS ROG Z270 Maximus X
i7 8700K
2x 250gb SSD

So with these specs what do you guys think? Will I see nearly 1gb on WIFI?

Thank you in advance!

***EDIT*** I've just realised that the ASUS AC56 won't be able to push 1gb/s since it's only 867mbps. Any advice for a gigabit wifi adapter?

Go wired. There is no way WiFi is going to reliably give you 1 Gb.

AC goes in channels of 433 Mb / s and you will only see that in laboratory conditions. 867 means you are taking the maximum possible aggregate of two channels. Good luck getting anywhere close to that for sustained transfers.

Any improvement in connectivity is always an improvement though, so if you're using a lesser WiFi standard, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade, just understand you're not going to get gigabit throughput, ever. Also, as you add more devices, your throughput will be divided between them.

bupp4

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Hmm...that's bad news :D
I really hoped that I can reach 800ish via wifi on 5GHz. It's a small flat so my router will be 4 meters away (1300Mbps @5GHz) and if I could get an asus wifi adapter which also has the theoretical speed of 1300Mbps @5GHz it could work.

So theoretically it COULD work but it WON'T right?
p.s. Trust me I would hardwire but missus hates cables even though my wiring skills are amaaaziiing :(

EDIT* I've found this video. The guy has 800+ on wifi. I really think it's possible guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_ZHNSlgnk

bupp4

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Those are some good overall reviews. I think I have to take an ' I do the housework for 1 month ' contract for my girl's mood then hardwire the house :D
Thank you for the answers and for your time!

Have a great day!

Wireless AD is not a suitable replacement for Wireless AC. It cannot penetrate walls, and for useful speeds requires direct line of sight. The signal runs at 60 GHz where penetration is atrocious, antenna sizes are problematic, and require almost directional design along with beam forming to get usable range.

The 1300 MB / s speeds that routers are claiming is the ceiling speed. It is the aggregate of the maximum possible throughput if all three 433 MB / s channels are being used. It's unlikely you're going to get such perfect results, even if you manage to find a wireless device that lets you use all three channels.

Probably be cheaper to have a professional come in and run a Cat 5e / Cat 6 line than to invest in Wireless AD.