[SOLVED] ISP and Self Hosting

RJWyrd

Honorable
Sep 6, 2016
This is more of an ISP question, but Networking is the best I suppose. I guess it falls under WAN technically......

I'm increasingly getting frustrated with the lack of information to find a proper Business Class internet service. I'm in a Spectrum dominated market, not that it would matter if I were in another market, they're all the same it seems.

I understand in a home environment Down speed is the powering force. Up speeds don't matter much, but in a business environment (or at least you want to offer a service from your home that would be typically offered from a business) and you can't get UP speeds anywhere near a user's down speed? I think the best I've seen is somewhere aroung 6-10 when down speeds now are up to 200.

Hell, if I could offer 50ish that would at least be closer to what down speeds were a decade ago. Where do you go when your business doesn't just need fast down speeds, but you need a fast UP speed to offer a service housed in your own facility?

Yeah, I know you could host it with some well known hosting company and get the speeds you need, but they're getting the speed from somewhere themselves and THAT is what I'm looking for. A service where UP speed is comparible to down speed.

Even Spectrum's Business Class internet isn't actually providing a Business Class UP Speed. I figure Business needs the UP speed for hosting, so why aren't they offering that for thier business customers?

So, where should I be looking? Akron, Ohio if that matters.

Thanks,
RJ

Solution
Part of the problem is I suspect you want to run this from a residential location. As you stated home users only care about download so the ISP design systems to favor that. This is one of those things that there really is only so much bandwidth and they have to divide the total. Cable systems are almost almost using DOCSIS which in its design favors download over upload.

The only real solution is to have a network that uses something other than docsis. The only really fast one is fiber where they can do tricky things like run 1 color laser up and a different color down so they can get much more upload bandwidth.

I don't know the details of spectrum business class but other ISP selling business accounts the main feature...

USAFRet

Titan
For a host, Up is just as important as Down.
Your customers would need your Up, to d/l to their environment.

I have a hard time thinking that Spectrum can't give you the appropriate speeds you need.
Yes, this may cost significant money.

Part of the problem is I suspect you want to run this from a residential location. As you stated home users only care about download so the ISP design systems to favor that. This is one of those things that there really is only so much bandwidth and they have to divide the total. Cable systems are almost almost using DOCSIS which in its design favors download over upload.

The only real solution is to have a network that uses something other than docsis. The only really fast one is fiber where they can do tricky things like run 1 color laser up and a different color down so they can get much more upload bandwidth.

I don't know the details of spectrum business class but other ISP selling business accounts the main feature that make it a business account is the support. Some plans they will come out in the middle of the night to fix it. I know we had some there were guarantees they would be onsite within 4 hours on some of the plans.
They also have different phone numbers to call for business class people. Most the difference is not the actual connection it is the customer support.

You almost can't compare hosting a server yourself to a hosting center. Most hosting centers have lots of redundancy built in. They have things like generators backing up their UPS. They generally have multiple ISP so if a connection would fail it would just switch over. These are the key reasons this looks like it is more expensive but you must compare what it would cost you to get the same service level. This is hard when a business does not really have the money to host a server correctly and just gambles it will work setup in their garage.

If your only option for ISP is coax cable I suspect you are not going to get a upload rate that you could host a server on. You really need a fiber. It all depends on how close there is fiber from a telephone company. You can actually get private fiber run to a house. It can get expensive if they have to bore under a bunch of streets in the path.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
This is more of an ISP question, but Networking is the best I suppose. I guess it falls under WAN technically......

I'm increasingly getting frustrated with the lack of information to find a proper Business Class internet service. I'm in a Spectrum dominated market, not that it would matter if I were in another market, they're all the same it seems.

I understand in a home environment Down speed is the powering force. Up speeds don't matter much, but in a business environment (or at least you want to offer a service from your home that would be typically offered from a business) and you can't get UP speeds anywhere near a user's down speed? I think the best I've seen is somewhere aroung 6-10 when down speeds now are up to 200.

Hell, if I could offer 50ish that would at least be closer to what down speeds were a decade ago. Where do you go when your business doesn't just need fast down speeds, but you need a fast UP speed to offer a service housed in your own facility?

Yeah, I know you could host it with some well known hosting company and get the speeds you need, but they're getting the speed from somewhere themselves and THAT is what I'm looking for. A service where UP speed is comparible to down speed.

Even Spectrum's Business Class internet isn't actually providing a Business Class UP Speed. I figure Business needs the UP speed for hosting, so why aren't they offering that for thier business customers?

So, where should I be looking? Akron, Ohio if that matters.

Thanks,
RJ
Most locations that have fiber to the home, have symmetric speeds. In the US, FIOS/Frontier is probably the most common. But Google fiber and ATT fiber are other players.

RJWyrd

Honorable
Sep 6, 2016
You really need a fiber. It all depends on how close there is fiber from a telephone company. You can actually get private fiber run to a house. It can get expensive if they have to bore under a bunch of streets in the path.

That does seem to be the problem. There is no fiber on my street, but there is a few blocks away and across a highway. That would probably cost a few grand or more to run. :( Where would you go to have private fiber run and who would would put service on it? I guess the same as the businesses downtown Akron using Fiber. Hmmm... You're right though. Everything around me is Docsis.

Hosting is not just symmetric Internet and a good server. Think:
  • Failover
  • Air Conditioning
  • Special carrier-grade agreements for power and internet failover and other high availability options
If it is a part of business plan, how to justify a power outage for 4-5 hours? Or hardware failure? Amazon is a bold leader with plenty of options, and so there are many smaller and cheaper options for any budget worldwide.